Luís Fabiano joins Porto

European champions FC Porto have landed Brazilian international striker Luís Fabiano from São Paulo FC.

French experience
Luís Fabiano has previous experience of playing in Europe, at French side Stade Rennais FC. He was top scorer in Brazil in 2002 and in the Paulista championship in 2003, and took his place in Brazil's squad at this summer's Copa América in Peru.

'Dream come true'
"It is a dream come true for me and an opportunity to show my qualities in European football," he said during his official presentation in front of 2,000 Porto fans at the Estádio do Dragão. Porto paid €1.8m for a 25 per cent stake in the player. The other 75 per cent belongs to the company Global Soccer Investments.

Career path
Luís Fabiano began his career in the mid-1990s at Guarani FC. In 1997 he moved to Ituano FC but left the club before the end of the year for AA Ponte Preta, where he remained until 1999. He had two short spells at Rennes between 2000 and 2002, joining São Paulo for a brief period in between and again on his return to Brazil.

Top