UEFA.com studies the Group B form guide, with a rapid return to PSV Eindhoven for Manchester United's summer signing Memphis Depay and a 2009/10 reunion.
Article top media content
Group B pedigree
Manchester United (ENG) – Pot 2
Previous group stage campaigns: 20 (last appearance: 2013/14)
Last season: did not take part in UEFA competition
Best European Cup performance: winners (1967/68, 1998/99, 2007/08)
Wolfsburg (GER) – Pot 4
Previous group stage campaigns: 1 (2009/10)
Last season: UEFA Europa League quarter-finals
Best European Cup performance: group stage (2009/10)
CSKA Moskva (RUS) – Pot 3
Previous group stage campaigns: 8 (last appearance: 2014/15)
Last season: UEFA Champions League group stage
Best European Cup performance: quarter-finals (2009/10)
PSV Eindhoven (NED) – Pot 1
Previous group stage campaigns: 18 (last appearance: 2008/09)
Last season: UEFA Europa League round of 32
Best European Cup performance: winners (1987/88)
Matchday one fixtures (Tuesday 15 September)
Wolfsburg v CSKA Moskva
PSV Eindhoven v Manchester United
Key group facts
- Manchester United, CSKA Moskva and Wolfsburg were all in the same group in 2009/10 – the German club's sole previous UEFA Champions League campaign. Then, United won 1-0 at CSKA, Antonio Valencia scoring the goal, before a 3-3 draw at Old Trafford. Valencia was also on target in Manchester, with Vasili Berezutski and Alan Dzagoev among the CSKA scorers.
- United won home (2-1) and away (3-1) against Wolfsburg the same season, Michael Carrick getting United's decisive goal at Old Trafford and Michael Owen netting a hat-trick in Germany.
- Grafite notched a treble in Wolfsburg's 3-1 victory over CSKA on matchday one, Dzagoev supplying the visitors' goal. CSKA came from behind to beat their German opponents 2-1 in Moscow on matchday five.
- Manchester United and PSV each recorded 3-1 home successes when the teams met in the 2000/01 first group stage, Paul Scholes (United) and Mark van Bommel (PSV) finding the net in each game. The English club were 1-0 winners against their Dutch opponents in the 1984/85 UEFA Cup second round.
- PSV prevailed 2-1 at home and 1-0 away against CSKA in the 2007/08 group stage.
Reaction to the draw
PSV coach Phillip Cocu
It's a very tough draw, but on the other hand also great to play against Manchester United and to meet Louis van Gaal and of course Memphis Depay again. CSKA and Wolfsburg are also strong sides. It will be a tough task, but with very nice matches and challenges.
Diego Benaglio, Wolfsburg captain
In the end there were only two possibilities for us and I am happy we went into Group B. We have an interesting group and still have a bill to settle with United and CSKA from our first participation.