CSKA Moskva host Wolfsburg seven years to the day since they defeated the German side in the Russian capital, knowing another victory could propel them into second place in Group B.
Article top media content
Bottom of Group D, PFC CSKA Moskva must avoid defeat against third-placed VfL Wolfsburg on matchday five to maintain any hope of UEFA Champions League progress.
• CSKA will be out of contention for a top-two finish if they lose. If Manchester United FC are also beaten, by PSV Eindhoven, CSKA will be confirmed in fourth place.
• Two points adrift at the foot of the section, CSKA will leapfrog Wolfsburg with a victory six years to the day since they overcame the Bundesliga outfit 2-1 in Moscow.
• Wolfsburg beat CSKA in their first UEFA Champions League fixture on 15 September 2009. Grafite hit a hat-trick for Armin Veh's hosts, Alan Dzagoev scoring for a CSKA team coached by Juande Ramos.
• CSKA ended up second in the group, with Wolfsburg third, having turned the tables with a 2-1 victory on 25 November. Tomáš Necid and Miloš Krasić struck second-half goals to overturn Edin Džeko's opener for the German side.
• The lineups for the clubs' encounter in the Russian capital were:
CSKA: Akinfeev, A Berezutski, V Berezutski, Ignashevich, Schennikov, Rahimić, Aldonin, Krasić, Mamaev, Dzagoev, Necid.
Wolfsburg: Benaglio, Riether, Ricardo Costa, Madlung, Schäfer, Josué, Hasebe, Gentner, Misimović, Džeko, Martins (Ziani 68).
• CSKA are hoping to avoid a hat-trick of early exits from Europe, having finished bottom of their UEFA Champions League group in each of the past two seasons.
• Leonid Slutski's men are four games unbeaten (W2 D2) at home in the 2015/16 competition.
• Igor Akinfeev, Sergei Ignashevich and Aleksei and Vasili Berezutski are survivors of CSKA's first meeting with Bundesliga opposition – a 1-0 home win against Hamburger SV in the 2006/07 UEFA Champions League group stage.
• Wolfsburg slipped to third place in Group B after their 2-0 defeat at PSV last time out, yet remain just a point off top spot.
• Winners at home against CSKA on matchday one (1-0), Dieter Hecking's team are still without a point on their travels after losses to Manchester United and PSV.
• Wolfsburg's overall record against Russian sides is W5 D1 L1.
Coach and player links
• As FC Moskva coach, Slutski lost to Hertha BSC Berlin in the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup (0-0 a, 0-2 h).
• Dante faced CSKA in four matches with Bayern, winning every one.
• André Schürrle scored a hat-trick for Germany in a 5-3 FIFA World Cup qualifying triumph over Pontus Wernbloom's Sweden in October 2013. Max Kruse and Julian Draxler also appeared.
• Vierinha was on the winning side against Akinfeev, Ignashevich and Vasili Berezutski in Portugal's 1-0 World Cup qualifying victory over Russia in June 2013.
• Nicklas Bendtner scored in Denmark's 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw with Georgi Milanov's Bulgaria in the same campaign.
• Players who have played together:
Luiz Gustavo & Mário Fernandes (Brazil)
• Georgi Schennikov will incur a suspension with his next booking.
• CSKA's club record 21-match undefeated Russian Premier-Liga run came to an end when they lost 2-1 at FC Krasnodar on 8 November.
• They were beaten again on Saturday, 2-0 at home by PFC Krylya Sovetov Samara – Slutski's side's third successive reverse in all competitions.
• The Army Men have failed to score from six penalties this season.
• Akinfeev has conceded a goal in each of his last 35 UEFA Champions League appearances, qualifying included. His last clean sheet in the competition came when CSKA drew 0-0 at Arsenal FC on 1 November 2006.
• Vasili Berezutski has not played since sustaining a muscle injury on matchday three.
• Naldo and Daniel Caligiuri are a booking away from a ban.
• Kruse scored twice in a 6-0 home win against SV Werder Bremen on Saturday.
• Draxler was sent off 13 minutes into Wolfsburg's 2-0 loss at 1. FSV Mainz 05 on 7 November.
• Bas Dost scored his first international goal in the Netherlands' 3-2 friendly victory against Wales on 13 November.
• Robin Knoche, who has yet to play this season, has been sidelined since 18 September because of an ankle injury.