Celtic have beaten Hearts 2-0 to become the first team since 1898/99 to finish the Scottish league season unbeaten. We salute their fellow invincibles since the turn of the century.
Article top media content
Celtic have become the first team since Rangers in 1898/99 to make it through an entire Scottish league season unbeaten, with Kukës in Albania and København in Denmark also both on target for defeat-free domestic league campaigns. UEFA.com salutes the 21st-century unbeatables.
• Celtic are the 29th side to complete a European season unbeaten in the 21st century. They also went through the whole 1897/98 campaign without losing a game, back in the days of two points for a win (P18 W15 D3 L0 F56 A13 Pts33).
• Of the top eight leagues in Europe (according to their UEFA coeffiecients), four have never been won unbeaten since the foundation of UEFA in 1954: those in Spain, France, Russia and the reunited Germany.
- Longest unbeaten runs in all competitions
- Longest unbeaten runs in European league football
- Europe's longest domestic winning streaks
- Top slumps: title chases that went badly wrong
• Crvena Zvezda's class of 2007/08 (P33 W21 D12 L0 F65 A22 Pts75) are the only team to have survived a European league season unbeaten since the turn of the century and NOT won the title, finishing five points adrift of Belgrade rivals Partizan.
• The 1999/2000 champions of Andorra, Constellació Esportiva (P12 W12 D0 L0 F71 A6 Pts36), are the only side to have won a UEFA-affiliated European premier division without dropping a point in the 21st century. They scored an incredible 71 goals in those matches (an average of 5.92 a game) but their European demise was equally dramatic: they lost 16-0 on aggregate to Spain's Rayo Vallecano in the 2000/01 UEFA Cup qualifying round.
• The all-time meanest defence among our 21st-century invincibles belonged to Moldova's 2006/07 championship-winning Sheriff outfit; under Leonid Kuchuk, the Tiraspol club conceded just seven goals in 36 games that campaign – an average of 0.19 per match, or one for every 463 minutes they played that season.
Teams who have got through entire 21st-century UEFA-affiliated league seasons* unbeaten
Andorra: Constellació Esportiva (1999/00: P12 W12 D0 L0 F71 A6 Pts36)
Armenia: Pyunik (2003: P28 W23 D5 L0 F87 A11 Pts74)
Bulgaria: CSKA Sofia (2007/08: P30 W24 D6 L0 F53 A11 Pts78)
Croatia: Dinamo Zagreb (2014/15: P36 W26 D10 L0 F85 A21 Pts88)
Cyprus: Apollon Limassol (2005/06: P26 W19 D7 L0 F68 A24 Pts64)
Anorthosis Famagusta (2007/08: P32 W20 D12 L0 F58 A19 Pts72)
Czech Republic: Sparta Praha (2009/10: P30 W16 D14 L0 F42 A14 Pts62)
England: Arsenal (2003/04: P38 W26 D12 L0 F73 A26 Pts90)
Estonia: Flora Tallinn (2003: P28 W24 D4 L0 F105 A21 Pts76)
Gibraltar: **Lincoln (2009/10: P18 W17 D1 L0 F67 A12 Pts52)
**Lincoln (2010/11: P20 W16 D4 L0 F72 A22 Pts52)
**Lincoln (2011/12: P20 W17 D3 L0 F82 A18 Pts54)
Lincoln (2012/13: P15 W13 D2 L0 F68 A13 Pts41)
Lincoln (2013/14: P14 W11 D3 L0 F66 A6 Pts36)
Hungary: Debrecen (2011/12: P30 W22 D8 L0 F64 A18 Pts74)
Iceland: Stjarnan (2014: F22 W15 D7 L0 F42 A21 Pts52)
Italy: Juventus (2011/12: P38 W23 D15 L0 F68 A20 Pts84)
Malta: Valletta (2010/11: P28 W18 D10 L0 F59 A17 Pts42)
Moldova: Sheriff (2006/07: P36 W28 D8 L0 F70 A7 Pts92)
Norway: Rosenborg (2010: P30 W19 D11 L0 F58 A24 Pts68)
Portugal: Porto (2010/11: P30 W27 D3 L0 F73 A16 Pts84)
Porto (2012/13: P30 W24 D6 L0 F70 A14 Pts78)
Scotland: Celtic (2016/17: P38 W34 D4 L0 F106 A25 Pts106)
Serbia: Partizan*** (2004/05: P30 W25 D5 L0 F81 A20 Pts80)
Crvena zvezda (2007/08: P33 W21 D12 L0 F65 A22 Pts75)
Partizan (2009/10: P30 W24 D6 L0 F63 A14 Pts78)
Ukraine: Shakhtar (2001/02: P26 W20 D6 L0 F49 A10 Pts66)
Dynamo Kyiv (2006/07: P30 W22 D8 L0 F67 A23 Pts74)
Dynamo Kyiv (2014/15: P26 W20 D6 L0 F65 A12 Pts66)
** titles precede Gibraltar becoming a full member of UEFA in 2013
*** title was won in Serbia and Montenegro