The official website for European football

Stadium ban and fine for Inter

Published: Friday 15 April 2005, 19.00CET
FC Internazionale Milano will play their next four European club competition matches behind closed doors.
 

UEFA.com features

Greatest UEFA Champions League comebacks
  • Greatest UEFA Champions League comebacks
  • Heavyweight knockouts: when giants collide in last 16
  • UEFA Champions League round of 16 classics
  • Ronaldo's 100 Champions League goals: how, when, where
  • Ronaldo's 100: Ten of his greatest Champions League hits
  • John Terry to leave Chelsea: his memorable European moments
  • Four-time winner Seedorf one of a kind
  • Real Madrid's Germany hoodoo: four wins in 30
  • Great UEFA club competition two-legged comebacks
  • Hope for Arsenal and Barça? Great comebacks
1 of 10
 
Published: Friday 15 April 2005, 19.00CET

Stadium ban and fine for Inter

FC Internazionale Milano will play their next four European club competition matches behind closed doors.
UEFA's Control and Disciplinary Body has ordered FC Internazionale Milano to play their next six European club competition matches behind closed doors as a result of the disturbances at the abandoned UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg against AC Milan on Tuesday.

Probationary period
European football's governing body said after its disciplinary body had met in Nyon, Switzerland on Friday that of these six matches, the last two are under a probationary period of three years according to Article 15 bis of the disciplinary regulations.

'Original sanction to be executed'
"This means that if a further offence is committed during the probationary period, the disciplinary body may order the original sanction to be executed, in addition to disciplinary sanctions for the second offence," UEFA stated. In addition, Inter have been fined CHF 300,000.

Forfeit win
The quarter-final second leg has been awarded to Milan as a 3-0 forfeit and Milan therefore go through to the semi-finals on a 5-0 aggregate. An appeal against any of these decisions can be submitted within three days from the receipt of the written grounds.

'Sending out a message'
"The decision taken by the Control and Disciplinary Body sends out a message to all those in football and football fans that this kind of behaviour at European matches under UEFA jurisdiction is something that will not be tolerated," UEFA spokesman Rob Faulkner told uefa.com after the verdict had been announced.

'Not good enough'
"The scenes that we saw on Tuesday which led to the interruption of the match due to fans' misbehaviour is not the kind of thing that UEFA wants to see," he added.

Missiles thrown
Tuesday night's game at the Giuseppe Meazza was abandoned in the 75th minute after missiles were thrown on to the pitch, with one striking Milan goalkeeper Dida. Milan, who won the first leg 2-0 last week, had scored a 30th-minute goal through Andriy Shevchenko to increase their aggregate lead, but shortly after Nerazzurri midfield player Esteban Cambiasso had a goal disallowed, German referee Markus Merk decided to suspend the match and take both sets of players off the field and into the dressing rooms.

Match abandoned
An attempt to resume the game was made. But within seconds, further objects landed on the pitch and the referee immediately abandoned the match.

Last updated: 26/02/08 10.28CET

Related information

Team profiles

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=295903.html#stadium+fine+inter