Bulgaria v Italy background
Monday, February 2, 2015
Ivaylo Petev has a tough task ahead of him in his first competitive game as Bulgaria coach, with UEFA EURO 2016 Group H giants Italy coming to Sofia.
Article top media content
New Bulgaria coach Ivaylo Petev will look to breathe some life into his side's UEFA EURO 2016 qualifying campaign as they take on high-flying Italy in Group H.
• The teams have met 17 times in the past, with Italy's record in those fixtures reading W9 D6 L2. The most famous of those games was a 2-1 win for Italy in the semi-finals of the 1994 FIFA World Cup, Roberto Baggio striking twice at Giants Stadium in New Jersey before Hristo Stoichkov replied from the penalty spot.
• Their most recent encounters came in 2014 World Cup qualifying, Luboslav Penev's Bulgaria holding Cesare Prandelli's Italy to a 2-2 draw in Sofia but going down to Alberto Gilardino's goal in the return fixture.
• Bulgaria have taken four points from their four Group H games, winning away against Azerbaijan in their opening fixture and – in their most recent contest – drawing 1-1 at home against Malta.
• Italy are unbeaten in Group H to date (W3 D1), having won both of their previous away encounters without conceding.
• Italy are unbeaten in 44 qualifying matches in all competitions (W33 D11) since a 3-1 loss to France on 6 September 2006.
Trivia and links
• This is Ivaylo Petev's first competitive game in charge since replacing Luboslav Penev as Bulgaria coach in December.
• Bulgaria duo Andrej Galabinov (AS Livorno Calcio) and Ivaylo Chochev (US Città di Palermo) both play club football in Italy.
• Italy's record in 14 games against Bulgaria in UEFA age-group competitions is W10 D2 L2.