UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Nedvěd calls time on Czech career

Wednesday's match against Serbia will be Pavel Nedvěd's last for the Czech Republic. "It's time to give younger players a chance," the 33-year-old said.

Pavel Nedvěd has confirmed he will retire from international football after the Czech Republic's home friendly against Serbia on Wednesday. "I have no health problems, but it's time to give younger players a chance," said Nedvěd, who has scored 18 goals in 90 appearances for his country.

Driving force
The 33-year-old Juventus midfielder made his national-team debut in June 1994 in a 3-1 win against the Republic of Ireland and was the driving force behind the Czech Republic's run to the final of EURO '96™. Nedvěd was made captain in 2000 and was at his best again as the Czechs reached the semi-finals of UEFA EURO 2004™.

Outstanding
He announced his international retirement after that competition but returned last November to help Karel Brückner's side defeat Norway in a play-off to qualify for their first FIFA World Cup, where they were knocked out in the group stage. He is the second Czech veteran to quit the team since the finals in Germany, following Karel Poborský's decision to step down last month. Nedvěd will continue to play for relegated Juventus in Italy's Serie B.

Selected for you