Israel and Croatia meet in Tel Aviv
Sunday, 12 September 2010
With Croatia and Israel having accumulated four points apiece from their first two qualifying fixtures, one team can take sole charge of Group F with victory at the Ramat Gan Stadium.
Article top media content
Drawn together for the second UEFA European Championship qualifying campaign in succession, Israel take on Croatia desperate for a maiden win against their Group F opponents.
• Israel's record in six games against Croatia reads W0 D1 L5 (W0 D1 L2 at home).
• The two nations produced a classic when they first renewed acquaintances in Tel Aviv on the road to UEFA EURO 2008. Roberto Colautti put the hosts ahead, but Croatia turned things around before half-time courtesy of a Darijo Srna penalty and a goal from Eduardo. The Brazilian-born striker then completed his hat-trick with two strikes either side of a Yossi Benayoun effort for Israel, for whom Colautti struck again late on in a 4-3 loss.
• Eduardo registered the only goal in the return fixture on 13 October 2007, which was also the most recent meeting between the teams.
• Before those jousts, the two countries began their rivalry in a friendly in Tel Aviv on 17 August 1994, when Croatia recorded a 4-0 triumph. The victors promptly followed that result up with friendly wins in Varazdin and Zagreb, beating Israel 2-0 and 1-0 respectively.
• The only time Israel avoided defeat against Croatia came when the teams contested a 3-3 friendly draw in Jerusalem on 9 February 2005.