Romania v Faroe Islands background
Monday, February 2, 2015
Romania are the team to beat in UEFA EURO 2016 qualifying Group F, but the Faroe Islands are certainly not a side to be underestimated after an amazing win in Greece.
Article top media content
Romania top UEFA EURO 2016 qualifying Group F after making an unbeaten start in 2014, but the Faroe Islands have shown that they are not to be underestimated.
• The sides have met in four previous games – all FIFA World Cup qualifiers – with Romania winning all four fixtures.
• The Faroes can take comfort from the fact that their results against Romania have improved significantly since a 7-0 away loss and a 4-0 home defeat in 1994 World Cup qualifying; on the road to the 2010 finals, the Faroes lost 1-0 in Torshavn and then 3-1 in Piatra Neamt.
• Egil á Bø's strike in that game remains the Faroes' only goal in four meetings with Romania.
• Romania are unbeaten in four Group F games (W3 D1), and five competitive matches in total (W3 D2).
• Romania are unbeaten in four competitive home fixtures (W2 D2) since a 2-0 loss to Turkey in September 2013.
• This is only Romania's second competitive game in Ploiesti; they beat Luxembourg 4-0 in the first one, a UEFA EURO 2004 qualifier on 6 September 2003.
• The Faroes triumphed 1-0 in Greece in their last Group F assignment – that ended a 34-match wait (D1 L33) for their first competitive away win since a 2-0 success in Luxembourg on 24 March 2001.
• They have never avoided defeat in successive away fixtures.
Trivia and links
• Romania have played the Faroes in seven UEFA age-group competitions, boasting the record W5 D2. Most recently, the sides were paired in qualifying for this summer's UEFA European Under-21 Championship, drawing 2-2 in Toftir before Romania won the return fixture 3-1.
• The nations' clubs have met in five UEFA competition matches, with the Romanian teams producing the record W4 D1 L0, with no goals conceded.