Tirana : City Profile
Albania’s capital city, Tirana is located in the centre of the country, enclosed by stunning mountain ranges and blessed with a warm climate…
Things to do in Tirana
1. Start out at the Skanderbeg Monument: The 15th-century nobleman Skanderbeg is Albania's national hero for his role in rebelling against the Ottoman Empire. His impressive statue dominates Skanderbeg Square and is a great place to start exploring the city, with many important buildings nearby.
2. Visit the Palace of Brigades: The former Royal Palace and now Presidential Palace is open to the public at weekends. The Royal Garden is impressive, but the nearby Grand Park of Tirana is a great place to relax too.
3. Get up in the Cloud: An art installation placed in front of the National Gallery of Arts since 2016, the Cloud is a delicate, three-dimensional structure which forms a semi-transparent, irregular canopy. Hard to describe but definitely worth seeing.
4. Go shopping at the New Bazaar: Located near Avni Rustemi Square, a short walk from the centre of Tirana, the brightly coloured new shopping area replaced the city's old market place and is a great place to experience Albanian café culture: strong coffee a must.
5. Head for the Pyramid: As a symbol of communist times, the Pyramid was threatened with destruction, but the mausoleum built for former dictator Enver Hoxha lives on as a conference centre. Not too far away is the Peace Bell, another monument to Albania's complex recent history.