UEFA.com works better on other browsers
As of 25 January, UEFA.com will no longer support Internet Explorer.
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Legia and Austria make amends

Central-East round-up: Legia Warszawa and FK Austria Wien atoned for first-leg lapses while FC Nistru Otaci restored some pride against Hertha BSC Berlin.

Jaroslav Drobný kept a clean sheet for Hertha
Jaroslav Drobný kept a clean sheet for Hertha ©Getty Images

Legia Warszawa and FK Austria Wien atoned for first-leg lapses while FC Nistru Otaci restored some pride against Hertha BSC Berlin in the Central-East section UEFA Cup first qualifying round deciders. Having drawn 0-0 at home, Legia beat FC Gomel 4-1 in Belarus while Austria made up for a 1-0 defeat in Kazakhstan with a 2-0 triumph over FC Tobol Kostanay. Moldova's Nistru lost 8-1 in Germany two weeks ago, but bow out with some dignity after holding Hertha to a 0-0 draw at home.

FC Gomel 1-4 Legia Warszawa (agg: 1-4)
Legia atoned for a disappointing 0-0 draw at home as two goals each from Maciej Iwański and Sebastian Szałachowski earned them a 4-1 win in Belarus. Gomel led after 20 minutes as a deft pass from Cameroonian defender Richard Bohomo found Renan Bressan, who slotted the ball through keeper Ján Mucha's legs. Bohomo then felled Maciej Rybus in the area to allow Iwański to level from the spot six minutes later, and substitute Szałachowski put Legia ahead after the interval. Iwański made it 3-1 with a fine free-kick before Szałachowski beat Ihar Lohvinav for a fourth time following a surge up the right flank.

FK Austria Wien 2-0 FC Tobol Kostanay (agg: 2-1)
Austria made up for their 1-0 defeat in Kazakhstan a fortnight ago with a 2-0 win to live to fight another day in the UEFA Cup. Milenko Ačimovič cancelled out Tobol's advantage from the penalty spot after 28 minutes before a Thomas Krammer header seven minutes after the break put the hosts into a decisive lead. Tobol battled gamely for the goal that would have put them through but to no avail.

FC Nistru Otaci 0-0 Hertha BSC Berlin (agg: 1-8)
Nistru won back some pride after their 8-1 first-leg defeat in Berlin with a creditable goalless draw in Moldova, though their opponents took the opportunity to field some fringe players. The game, played at Chisinau's Zimbru Stadium, saw the home side create the better chances, with both Habib Mekang and Olexandr Malitskyy having good opportunities, but Jaroslav Drobný managed to keep a clean sheet.

FC Banants 0-3 FC Salzburg (agg: 0-10)
Salzburg strode into the second qualifying round in emphatic style after a 3-0 win in Yerevan took their aggregate victory into double figures. The Armenian side should have taken the lead after a foul on Eduard Kakosyan gave them a penalty five minutes before the interval, but Timo Ochs saved Arsen Balabekyan's weak effort. Robin Nelisse broke Banants' spirits with a header after the break before Saša Ilić's cool finish from a Patrik Jezek cross made it 2-0. Ernst Öbster completed the win with a third goal after 67 minutes.

FC Zestaponi 1-2 Győri ETO FC (agg: 2-3)
Having drawn 1-1 away, Teimuraz Makharadze's Zestaponi controlled the first half, and took the lead six minutes after the interval through Beka Gotsiridze. However, to the dismay of 4,000 home fans, the Georgian Cup holders immediately conceded an equaliser to György Jozsi, and David Pakolicz – who came on for Jozsi after 55 minutes – gave the Hungarian outfit a decisive lead on 67 minutes. Zestaponi were handed a lifeline as Attila Pinter was dismissed ten minutes from time, but a red card for Ucha Lobjanidze saw the numbers evened up before the final whistle.

AC Bellinzona 3-1 FC Ararat Yerevan (agg: 4-1)
Three first-half goals saw Bellinzona book their place in the UEFA Cup second qualifying round draw as they built on their 1-0 first-leg lead against Ararat. Manuel Rivera's 20-metre shot opened the floodgates after 22 minutes, with Gürkan Sermeter scoring a second from a rebound before delivering the corner that teed up Jocelyn Roux for a third just before half-time. Ararat improved after the interval, with Hrayr Mkoyan scoring the goal of the night with a tremendous 30-metre free-kick after 53 minutes.

FK Borac 3-1 FC Dacia Chisinau (agg: 4-2)
Dacia surrendered an early lead in Serbia as European debutants Borac progressed to the second qualifying round at the Moldovan side's expense. Seemingly unperturbed by their long coach journey, Dacia made a flying start with Levan Korgalidze finding the target after just three minutes, but Darko Lazović restored parity in the tie with a 17th-minute effort, and Borac took control after the interval with goals from Saša Kocić and Igor Grkajac settling the outcome.

KKS Lech Poznań 4-1 FK Khazar Länkäran (agg: 5-1)
Roared on by a 17,000-strong crowd, Lech stormed past ten-man Khazar. Semir Stilić put them ahead after a free-kick only for a misunderstanding between defender Bartosz Bosacki and goalkeeper Krzysztof Kotorowski to gift Zaur Ramazanov an equaliser before the break. Undeterred, Rafał Murawski restored Lech's lead with a fine long-range strike after the interval before Elmar Bakhshiev was dismissed for a second bookable offence. Dimitrije Injac scored a third and Piotr Reiss earned a huge ovation for scoring the fourth, the 36-year-old's first European goal for the club.

FC WIT Georgia 1-0 FC Spartak Trnava (agg: 3-2)
WIT added insult to injury as a late Luka Razmadze goal gave them a 3-2 aggregate victory in a tie they were set to win on away goals. Irakli Klimiashvili, Razmadze and Georgi Melkadze helped the home side dominate possession, and the Georgian team had a Vakhtang Kvaratskelia strike ruled out for offside after 15 minutes. The Slovakian visitors were saved by the post after 30 minutes, as Klimiashvili went close from distance, but in the final minute WIT made the breakthrough, with Razmadze crashing home from ten metres after a Melkadze pass.

MŠK Žilina 1-0 FC MTZ-RIPO Minsk (agg: 3-2)
Robert Jez broke Belarussian hearts for a second time as his strike sent Žilina into the second qualifying round. Having converted the added-time penalty that earned the Slovakian side a 2-2 draw in Minsk a fortnight ago, he once more struck in the dying seconds at home following a one-two with Peter Styvar to end MTZ-RIPO's hopes. The visitors hit the post through Artyom Kontsevoi in the first half while Benjamin Vomácka and Jez both hit the woodwork for Žilina. Home keeper Dušan Perniš saved Nicolas Ceolin's header on 78 minutes, allowing Jez's late strike to win the day.

Debreceni VSC 1-0 FC Shakhtyor Karagandy (agg: 2-1)
A first-half header from in-form forward Gergely Rudolf was enough to seal a 2-1 overall victory for Debrecen. Rudolf scored Debrecen's away goal in Kazakhstan and was in the hunt as early as the third minute when Serbian striker Ivan Bogdanović shot wide from his cross. The home side's efforts were rewarded seven minutes before half-time when Csaba Bernáth's pinpoint cross from the right found Rudolf six metres from goal and he applied the finishing touch with a firm header into the bottom right corner. The away team's only chance of note came on the hour mark but forward Milan Pacanda's effort rolled wide of the right post.

FK Olimpik Bakı 1-1 FK Vojvodina (agg: 1-2)
Igor Durić's goal five minutes from time spared Vojvodina the anguish of extra-time in Azerbaijan as Olimpik bowed out 2-1 on aggregate. Olimpik goalkeeper Rauf Mehdiyev had to be alert to deny Vladimir Buac in the first half, while at the other end, Tunisian Bechir Mogaadi squandered a great chance after a perfect pass from Mikheil Khutsishvili but redeemed himself by setting up Roman Akhalkatsi for the home side's 50th-minute opener. Vojvodina's Miodrag Pantelić and Olimpik's Khutsishvili both missed chances before towering centre-back Durić, who scored the only goal in the first leg, headed his side into the second qualifying round.