The revenue distribution in place for the 2011/12 UEFA Europa League entitles clubs to participation, match and performance-related bonuses from the group stage onwards.
Article top media content
UEFA has released details of the revenue to be expected from this season's UEFA Europa League.
Based on the commercial sales to date, gross commercial revenue from the 2011/12 UEFA Europa League is estimated at about €200m and the distribution plan is based on this figure. Some 75% of the gross revenue from media rights and commercial contracts will go to the clubs involved from the group stage onwards, with the remaining 25% reserved for European football and staying with UEFA to cover organisational and administrative costs.
Based on gross income of €200m, the share for distribution to the clubs will amount to €150m, with €90m in fixed payments and €60m in variable amounts (market pool) which will be distributed according to the proportional value of each television market represented by the clubs taking part in the UEFA Europa League (group stage onwards).
Each of the 48 clubs involved in the group stage can expect to receive a participation bonus of €640,000. In addition, they will be entitled to a match bonus of €60,000 per match played in the group stage. Performance bonuses will also be paid – €140,000 for every win and €70,000 for every draw in the group stage.
Turning to the knockout stages, clubs competing in the round of 32 will receive €200,000 each, clubs in the round of 16 €300,000, the quarter-finalists €400,000 and the semi-finalists €700,000. The UEFA Europa League winners can expect to collect €3m and the runners-up €2m.
It is anticipated that a minimum amount of €1m per club will be paid out for the group stage. A club could receive, at best, €6.44m from featuring in this season's competition – not counting the market pool share.