Feyenoord take on R. Standard de Liège knowing that the last time they beat their UEFA Europa League Group G rivals, they ended the season with a European trophy.
Article top media content
Feyenoord will be hoping their previous meetings with R. Standard de Liège augur well as the two clubs go head to head once again in UEFA Europa League Group G.
• Wiel Coerver's Feyenoord eliminated Vlatko Marković's Standard in the third round en route to winning the 1973/74 UEFA Cup.
• The teams for their second meeting, in Rotterdam on 19 December 1973, were:
Feyenoord: Treijtel, Israel, Van Daele, Rijsbergen (Vos 82), Schoenmaker, Boskamp, Jansen, Ressel, De Jong, Van Hanegem, Kristenssen.
Standard: Piot, Gerets, Dolmans, Dewalque, Thissen, Henrotay, Semmeling, Lambrichts, Mušović, Sigurvinsson, Rora (Govaert 70).
• Feyenoord have not conceded in their three home games against Belgian outfits.
• Feyenoord's 4-3 success against FC Zorya Luhansk during the play-offs ended a four-game wait (D1 L3) for a European home victory.
Trivia and links
• Feyenoord defender Luke Wilkshire turns 33 on the day of the Standard game.
• Standard forward Igor De Camargo can make his 50th UEFA club competition appearance against Feyenoord.
• Standard's Dutch defender Ronnie Stam spent five years in Feyenoord's youth academy before playing in the Netherlands for NAC Breda and FC Twente.
• Standard's Jelle Van Damme and Eyong Enoh also played in the Eredivisie for AFC Ajax.
• Feyenoord coach Fred Rutten was a defender for FC Twente, and coached the club in two spells before heading abroad to join FC Schalke 04 in 2008. He returned to the Netherlands the following year and spent nearly three years in charge at PSV Eindhoven and then a season with Vitesse, taking up his current post in March 2014.
• Standard coach since summer 2013, Guy Luzon led his native Israel on home soil at the 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Championship. Injury forced him to hang up his boots at 21, but Luzon found his calling as a coach, leading Maccabi Petach-Tikva FC into the 2005/06 UEFA Cup group stage.