Estoril Praia are on the lookout for their second European home win as they welcome Greek big-hitters Panathinaikos FC in UEFA Europa League Group E.
Article top media content
Estoril Praia will look to secure only their second European home win in six attempts as they take on Panathinaikos FC in UEFA Europa League Group E.
• Panathinaikos have scored exactly a goal a game in each of their previous three visits to Portugal in UEFA club competition, those three goals earning them two 1-0 wins and a 2-1 defeat against FC Porto.
• As yet, Estoril have won only one of their five European home games, the remainder ending D2 L2.
• Panathinaikos have not won in their last seven UEFA group stage away games (D1 L6), and have lost their last four group stage games on the road, conceding three goals in each.
Trivia and links
• Panathinaikos's Lisbon-born captain Zeca moved to Greece in 2011 having represented Casa Pia AC and Vitória FC in his native Portugal.
• Three Estoril players have represented Greek clubs: Polish goalkeeper Paweł Kieszek (Egaleo FC) as well as defenders Mano (Levadiakos FC) and Emídio Rafael (Platanias FC).
• Panathinaikos's Danijel Pranjić spent six months in the Liga with Sporting Clube de Portugal.
• Estoril coach José Couceiro has had a varied career since taking charge of FC Alverca in the early 2000s. At various times he has been Portugal Under-21 coach and Lithuania's national team boss, opting for adventures in Turkey and Russia more recently. He took charge at Estoril this year after leaving Vitória FC.
• Couceiro turns 52 on 4 October, two days after the Panathinaikos game.
• Panathinaikos coach Giannis Anastasiou was capped five times by Greece and played abroad with RSC Anderlecht, Roda JC and AFC Ajax among others. Briefly a first-team coach at Reading FC in England, he took command at Panathinaikos in May 2013.