Bordeaux are already resigned to missing out on the knockout rounds, but some hope still lingers for Rubin as they head into their final UEFA Europa League Group B fixture.
Article top media content
FC Girondins de Bordeaux will look to sign off with a first UEFA Europa League Group B victory, while FC Rubin need a win to have any hope of surviving the European winter.
• Bordeaux can no longer reach the round of 32.
• Rubin will qualify on head-to-head record if they win and FC Sion lose at home to already-qualified group leaders Liverpool FC.
• The sides' first UEFA competition meeting ended in a 0-0 draw in Kazan on matchday two.
• Bordeaux's record in seven encounters with Russian clubs is now W5 D1 L1 (W3 D0 L0 at home).
• Rubin's sole previous experience of French opposition was disappointing – they lost 4-2 on aggregate to Olympique Lyonnais in the 2011/12 UEFA Champions League play-offs.
• Bordeaux are without a victory in Group B – and have not won in six European games in total (D3 L3).
• Rubin have won just three of their nine matches since entering this season's competition in the third qualifying round, and are without a victory in their last three UEFA away fixtures (D2 L1).
• Rubin navigated their way through to the round of 32 in all three previous UEFA Europa League group stage campaigns.
• Bordeaux progressed to the round of 32 in their first two UEFA Cup and UEFA Europa League group stage campaigns, but have now missed the cut on their two most recent appearances.
Trivia and links
• The journey from Kazan to Bordeaux is just shy of 3,650km.
• Bordeaux's Willy Sagnol was appointed in 2014 after a spell as France Under-21 coach. The 38-year-old shone as a right-back, lifting a French title with AS Monaco FC before heading to Germany where he won five championships and the 2000/01 UEFA Champions League with FC Bayern München.
• Valeri Chaly is in temporary charge at Rubin following Rinat Bilyaletdinov's dismissal in September. A lower-league player in the Soviet Union, he was later a beach soccer and futsal trainer. Once coach of Moldova's FC Iskra-Stal, he joined Rubin after a short stint overseeing FC Chayka Sevastopol's reserves.