Young Boys have lost four of their last five European home games as they welcome their first Greek opponents, Olympiacos, in their opening Group B fixture.
Article top media content
Young Boys will attempt to improve a disappointing run of European home form when they take on Olympiacos in UEFA Europa League Group B.
• This is Young Boys' first UEFA competition encounter with Greek opposition.
• Olympiacos's only previous matches against Swiss opponents came in the 1984/85 UEFA Cup first round, the Piraeus side prevailing 3-2 on aggregate against Neuchâtel Xamax after a 2-2 second-leg draw.
• Young Boys have lost four of their last five European home games. They qualified for the group stage after going out 9-2 on aggregate to Borussia Mönchengladbach in the UEFA Champions League play-offs.
• Young Boys progressed successfully through two of their previous three UEFA Europa League group stage campaigns.
• Olympiacos have scored only once in their last four European away matches, that goal earning them a 1-0 win at Arouca in the UEFA Europa League play-offs.
• Olympiacos made it through to the round of 32 in their one previous UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League group stage, in 2008/09.
Links and trivia
• The journey from Piraeus to Berne is just shy of 1,700km.
• Adi Hütter took command at Young Boys in September 2015 having led Salzburg to a domestic double in his native Austria in his sole campaign in charge in 2014/15. He had spent the bulk of his career as a midfielder at the Salzburg club, returning as a youth specialist after retirement.
• Paulo Bento was hired as Olympiacos coach in August 2016 following a brief interlude in Brazil. A player for Benfica and Sporting CP in his native Lisbon, he later won two Portuguese Cups as Sporting coach and was Portugal boss from September 2010 to September 2014.