Having suffered a first away defeat in this season's competition in the first leg at Lyon, Roma now have a two-goal deficit to overturn if they are to reach the quarter-finals.
Article top media content
A late goal in the first leg rather changed the complexion of this high-profile tie, Roma needing to overturn a 4-2 deficit to make it to the UEFA Europa League quarter-finals.
• Misses next game if booked:
Roma: Kostas Manolas, Leandro Paredes
Lyon: Maxwel Cornet, Sergi Darder, Maxime Gonalons, Rafael
• The clubs also went head to head in the last 16 of the 2006/07 UEFA Champions League, Roma progressing with a 2-0 win in France following a 0-0 draw at the Stadio Olimpico. Francesco Totti – still with Roma – scored the opening goal, Brazilian winger Mancini hitting the second before the break.
• Roma's ten encounters with French sides have ended W5 D3 L2 (W2 D3 L0 in Rome).
• Lyon have faced Italian opponents in 21 UEFA games with the record: W8 D5 L8 (W4 D2 L4 in Italy).
• Roma's European home record this season is W2 D1 L2 F11 A8.
• Lyon are unbeaten in their last three UEFA games on the road (W2 D1).
• Losing European Cup finalists in 1984, and UEFA Cup finalists in 1991, Roma went as far as the UEFA Champions League round of 16 last season.
• Lyon have yet to participate in a major UEFA final but were UEFA Champions League semi-finalists as recently as 2009/10 and reached the last four of the 1963/64 European Cup Winners' Cup.
Links and trivia
• The journey from Lyon to Rome is around 750km.
• Lyon's Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa spent 2014/15 with Roma, scoring once in 28 Serie A games, before joining Les Gones.
• Midfielder Clément Grenier joined Roma on loan from Lyon in January but has not been included in their UEFA Europa League squad.
• Roma's Edin Džeko and Giuliano from eliminated Zenit top the 2016/17 UEFA Europa League scorers' table with eight goals each.
• Džeko (31) and team-mate – and first-leg goalscorer – Federico Fazio (30) celebrate birthdays on 17 March, the day after the second leg.
• Lyon's Nicolas Nkoulou scored in the Africa Cup of Nations final for Cameroon in February as the Lions defeated an Egypt side featuring Roma's Mohamed Salah.
• Roma forward Stephan El Shaarawy played in Ligue 1 with Monaco in the first half of last season but spent only three minutes on the pitch when his side faced Lyon in a 1-1 draw on 16 October 2015.
• Lyon's women's team are the reigning European champions and are still in contention for the 2016/17 title. No club has won men's and women's UEFA titles in the same campaign.
• Luciano Spalletti returned to Roma in January 2016 after five years in Russia with Zenit, where he claimed two championships. He lifted the Coppa Italia twice with Roma between 2005 and 2009, having first made his name leading unfancied Udinese to fourth place in Serie A in 2004/05.
• Bruno Génésio took charge at Lyon in December 2015, but his links to the club go back much further. A local boy, he joined OL as a trainee in 1983 and represented Lyon as a midfielder from 1985 to 1995. He later worked as a scout and was assistant coach from 2011 to 2015.
• Roma's record in four UEFA penalty shoot-outs is W1 L3; they have lost their last three:
L 7-6 H v Arsenal (2008/09 UEFA Champions League round of 16)
L 4-3 A v Zaragoza (1986/87 European Cup Winners' Cup first round)
L 4-3 N v Liverpool (1983/84 European Champion Clubs' Cup final)
W 4-2 A v Norrköping (1982/83 UEFA Cup second round)
• Lyon have lost both of their previous UEFA penalty shoot-outs:
L 4-2 A v PSV (2004/05 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals)
L 4-3 A v APOEL (2011/12 UEFA Champions League round of 16)