Which side have been the most regular Thursday-night performers in European football?
Article top media content
The UEFA Europa League came into existence in 2009/10, replacing the UEFA Cup, which had been in existence since 1971/72, and effectively incorporated the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup after that tournament was discontinued in 1998/99.
It is a competition that continues to pride itself on diversity, with clubs of many nationalities regularly involved in the 48-team group stage. It is open to a huge number of teams, but has still had a relatively stable regular cast of sides, as UEFA.com discovers.
Teams who have featured in 140+ UEFA Europa League/UEFA Cup games
|1||Inter Milan (ITA)||187||93||44||50||286||169||3|
|2||Sporting CP (POR)||185||89||40||56||294||205||0|
|3||Club Brugge (BEL)||180||79||41||60||297||235||0|
|4||PSV Eindhoven (NED)||155||76||36||43||256||159||1|
|8=||Rapid Wien (AUT)||142||55||26||61||198||199||0|
|13=||Crvena zvezda (SRB)||140||58||36||46||216||179||0|
• UEFA Cup winners three times in the 1990s, Inter Milan have seen more action in the competition than any other team, and have registered more UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League wins and draws than any other side.
• Club Brugge hold the competition records for the most goals scored and conceded, and have also posted the most UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League defeats.
• Sporting CP have played in 33 editions of the competition to date – two more than any other side, with Club Brugge having appeared in 31.
• No winners have played fewer games in the competition than Chelsea: they have participated in just 32 matches and yet have lifted the trophy twice.
Teams who have featured in 75+ UEFA Europa League games
|2=||AZ Alkmaar (NED)||80||32||23||25||114||102||0|
|6=||Sporting CP (POR)||78||37||17||24||123||91||0|
|6=||Athletic Club (ESP)||78||37||17||24||132||109||0|
|10=||PSV Eindhoven (NED)||76||41||17||18||124||71||0|
|10=||Rapid Wien (ITA)||76||30||15||31||111||117||0|
• Four teams have figured in all 11 editions since the competition took on its new identity in 2009/10: Hajduk Split, PAOK, Rosenborg and Sparta Praha.
• Salzburg have played more UEFA Europa League games than any other side, and share the goals-scored record with Sevilla.
• Three-time champions Sevilla are the only UEFA Europa League winners to have played in more than 75 matches in the competition. Fellow three-time winners Atlético Madrid have played 51 games while two-time winners Chelsea have played just 24.
• Rapid Wien have conceded the most UEFA Europa League goals (117).
Last updated: 15 May 2020 - for latest version see the UEFA Europa League statistics handbook