UEFA has revealed details of the revenue expected from the 2014/15 UEFA Europa League season and the amounts that will be assigned to clubs taking part.
Article top media content
UEFA has issued details of the revenue to be expected from the 2014/15 UEFA Europa League.
Based on commercial sales, gross commercial revenue from this season's UEFA Europa League is estimated at about €225m. Around 75% of the gross revenue from media rights and commercial contracts will go to the clubs involved from the group stage onwards, with the remaining 25% reserved for European football and staying with UEFA to cover organisational and administrative costs. Based on the gross income of €225m, the share for distribution to the clubs will amount to €168.75m.
Furthermore, the UEFA Executive Committee has approved a further contribution of €40m to the UEFA Europa League club share, with funding provided by the UEFA Champions League club and UEFA shares – which means a total net UEFA Europa League club share of €208.75m.
The net amount available to the participating clubs will be split 60-40 – €125.25m in fixed payments, and €83.5m in variable amounts (market pool) which will be distributed according to the proportional value of each television market represented by the teams taking part in the UEFA Europa League from the group stage onwards.
Each of the 48 sides involved in the group stage can expect to receive a group stage fee of €1.3m. There will also be performance bonuses of €200,000 for every win and €100,000 for every draw in the group stage. Moreover, qualification bonuses will be allotted to the teams that progress to the round of 32. Each of the 12 group winners can anticipate earning €400,000, and the runners-up €200,000.
As for the knockout phase, teams competing in the round of 32 will collect €200,000 each, clubs in the round of 16 €350,000 each, the eight quarter-finalists €450,000 each and the four semi-finalists €1m each. The UEFA Europa League winners will pick up €5m and the runners-up €2.5m.
A side could receive, at best, €9.9m from playing in this season's competition – not counting the market pool share.
Meanwhile, every club that features in the UEFA Europa League first qualifying round will get €120,000 even if they go on to qualify for the group stage. Second qualifying round participants will gain €130,000 even if they go through to the group stage, and each club playing in the third qualifying round will receive €140,000 regardless of results.
Furthermore, all teams eliminated in the UEFA Europa League play-offs will collect €150,000 – the play-off winners will not be entitled to any solidarity payment for the play-offs but will retain payments received for the UEFA Europa League first, second and third qualifying rounds and will benefit from the competition distribution system from the group stage onwards.