Twenty teams will chase the nine available knockout places when the groups end on Thursday with 14 of the matches having qualification at stake. Let us explain ...
Article top media content
The 12 UEFA Europa League groups end tonight and 20 teams are chasing the nine remaining round of 32 places still available alongside the 15 confirmed qualifiers and the eight clubs ending third in UEFA Champions League sections. UEFA.com explains the permutations with 14 matches having qualification riding on them.
- Already qualified: Molde, Liverpool, Krasnodar, Dortmund, Napoli (group winners), Villarreal, Rapid Wien, Braga, Lazio (group winners), St-Étienne (group runners-up), Basel (group winners), Tottenham, Schalke, Sparta Praha, Athletic (group winners)
- Can qualify: Fenerbahçe, Ajax, Sion, Rubin, Midtjylland, Club Brugge, Legia Warszawa, Marseille, Slovan Liberec, Beşiktaş, Lokomotiv Moskva, Sporting CP, Fiorentina, Lech Poznań, Belenenses, Anderlecht, Monaco, Qarabağ, Partizan, Augsburg
- Eliminated: Celtic, Bordeaux, PAOK, Qäbälä, Viktoria Plzeň, Dinamo Minsk, Groningen, Dnipro, Rosenborg, Skënderbeu, Asteras, APOEL, AZ Alkmaar
- Transfer from UEFA Champions League: Porto, Olympiacos, Manchester United, Bayer Leverkusen, Sevilla (holders), Valencia, Galatasaray, Shakhtar Donetsk
- Round of 32 draw: 13.00CET, 14 December
All information in this article is subject to final confirmation from UEFA. These examples may not cover all potential situations.
- Molde are through, and will be confirmed as Group A winners if they win or draw, or if Fenerbahçe do not win
- Fenerbahçe have head-to-head advantage over Ajax so will progress if they draw or the Dutch team do not win.
- Liverpool are through and will top the group with a draw.
- Sion trail Rubin on head to head so still need a point if the Russian side win.
- Krasnodar lead fellow qualifiers Dortmund on head to head so will finish top as long as BVB do not overtake them on points.
- Napoli are confirmed as group winners with the only perfect record in this season's group stage.
- Midtjylland will finish second with a win, or with a draw should Legia fail to win.
- Club Brugge will finish second with a win due to their head-to-head advantage over Legia.
- Legia can only qualify if they win and the other game is drawn, as they would top Midtjylland on overall goal difference but have an inferior head-to-head record against Club Brugge.
- Villarreal lead fellow qualifiers Rapid on head-to-head record so the Austrian side can only finish top if they pick up more points than the Liga club.
- Braga are through but will need a point to win the group should Marseille secure victory due to the French side's superior head-to-head record.
- Liberec must beat Marseille to overtake them and finish second.
- Lazio have won the group ahead of St-Étienne.
- Beşiktaş will be through with a draw and victory would clinch first place
- Victory would clinch first place for Lokomotiv if Beşiktaş do not win. If Beşiktaş lose and Lokomotiv draw, final ranking will depend on the scores in the last two matches.
- Sporting CP would be through with a win or with a draw if Lokomotiv lose, on head-to-head record. If Sporting win and Lokomotiv do not, the Portuguese side finish top.
- Basel are through as group winners thanks to their head-to-head superiority over Fiorentina.
- Fiorentina will qualify with a draw thanks to their head-to-head superiority over Lech.
- Belenenses would be through with a win unless Lech also win, in which case final ranking will depend on the scores in the last two matches.
- Tottenham are through but still need a point to definitely finish top as they are level on head-to-head with Anderlecht.
- Anderlecht would be through with a win, or with a draw if Monaco do not win.
- Monaco must win and hope Anderlecht do not.
- Qarabağ will be through if they win and Monaco do not. If Qarabağ win and the other game is drawn, the Azerbaijani team will finish second due to the higher number of points obtained in the group matches among the three teams in question (Qarabağ, Monaco and Anderlecht) .
- Sparta will finish ahead of fellow qualifiers Schalke if the Czech side win and the Bundesliga club fail to.
- Athletic have won the group thanks to their head-to-head superiority over Partizan.
- Augsburg can only overtake Partizan if they match or better the 3-1 scoreline by which the Serbian team won in Germany on 1 October.
Standings are provisional until all matches have been played.