FCSB will look for a repeat of their last meeting with Viktoria Plzeň after the sides were paired for a second time this season in UEFA Europa League Group G.
Article top media content
This week, football fans watching UEFA Europa League matches in stadiums, online and on TV will witness the premiere of the new UEFA RESPECT TV ads, called #EqualGame. The adverts feature Ada Hegerberg, Lionel Messi, Paul Pogba, Cristiano Ronaldo and amateur players and will run throughout the season to promote inclusion, diversity and accessibility in European Football with the motto "Everyone has the right to enjoy football, no matter who you are, where you're from, or how you play." More information on the campaign and on the advertisements can be found in the accompanying media release and on the campaign website: www.equalgame.com.
FCSB will want a repeat of their last meeting with Viktoria Plzeň after the sides were paired for a second time this season in UEFA Europa League Group G.
• The teams first met in this season's UEFA Champions League third qualifying round, FCSB making up for a 2-2 home draw with a 4-1 success in Plzen.
• Michael Krmenčík scored in both legs for Plzeň, but was sent off late in the return match.
• The line-ups for the first game in Bucharest on 25 July 2017 were:
FCSB: Niţă, Bălaşa, Pintilii, Larie, Alibec (Gnohéré 57), Tănase (William Amorim 46), Budescu (Achim 66), Júnior Morais, Momčilović, Enache, Filipe Teixeira.
Plzeň: Bolek, Limberský, Kopic, Petržela (Zeman 69), Řezník, Krmenčík (Bakoš 67), Hrošovský, Hájek, Havel, Kolář (Řezníček 84), Živulić.
• FCSB's record in ten matches with Czech sides is W3 D5 L2 (W1 D4 at home).
• Plzeň are yet to win in six games against Romanian opponents: D3 L3.
• Second in Romania's 2016/17 table, FCSB have not won in two European home fixtures this season (D1 L1).
• Plzeň have gone ten matches without a European away victory (D5 L5), but drew five of their last seven continental fixtures on the road.
• Beaten 5-1 on aggregate by Sporting CP in the UEFA Champions League play-offs, FCSB are competing in the UEFA Europa League group stage for a seventh time since the tournament assumed its current format in 2009/10 (a record they share with Salzburg). They have twice reached the knockout phase.
• Runners-up in last term's Czech First League, Viktoria Plzeň are contesting the UEFA Europa League group stage for a third straight season. They reached the last 16 in 2012/13 and 2013/14.
Links and trivia
• The journey from Bucharest to Plzen is a little over 1,100km.
• Krmenčík is serving a one-match suspension for this game.
• Plzeň have won four of the last seven Czech titles, starting with their breakthrough triumph in 2010/11; FCSB are Romania's most successful club with 26 league championships.
• Nicolae Dică returned to FCSB as coach in May 2017, having served the club as a player in two previous spells, landing two titles – and a further one with CFR Cluj. The attacking midfielder also played in Italy, Greece and Turkey.
• After stints as Czech Republic and Anji coach, Pavel Vrba rejoined Plzeň this year, having earlier steered Viktoria to two championships between 2008 and 2013. Once a Baník Ostrava player and coach, he lifted the 2006/07 Slovak title as Žilina boss.