Marseille will look to bounce back from a matchday two Group I defeat as they welcome a Vitória SC side who have not won away in Europe since 2005.
Article top media content
Marseille will look to bounce back from a matchday two UEFA Europa League Group I defeat as they welcome a Vitória SC side who have not won away in Europe since 2005.
• The teams are meeting for the first time.
• Marseille's ten games against Portuguese sides have produced the following results: W2 D2 L6 (W2 D1 L2 in Marseille).
• Vitória SC's only past encounters with French opponents were a pair of 2013/14 UEFA Europa League group stage matches against Lyon – they drew 1-1 in France but lost 2-1 at home.
• Marseille have won all three of their European home games this season.
• Vitória SC are without a win in 11 UEFA away matches (D3 L8) – a run stretching back to a 1-0 victory at Wisła Kraków in September 2005.
• Fifth in France last term, Marseille last featured in the UEFA Europa League group stage in 2015/16 when they made it to the round of 32, eventually losing to Athletic Club.
• Fourth in the Liga and runners-up in the Portuguese Cup last season, Vitória SC are participating in their third UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League group stage. They have yet to make it through.
Trivia and links
• The journey from Guimaraes to Marseille is around 1,150km.
• Vitória SC midfielder Alhassan Wakaso played in France last term with Lorient, figuring in a 4-1 home defeat by Marseille.
• Vitória SC's Guillermo Celis and Apollon's Anton Maglica were the most-fouled players on the first two matchdays, with ten infringements against each.
• Marseille's Adil Rami won the 2015/16 UEFA Europa League with Sevilla.
• Marseille coach since 2016, Rudi Garcia started out as a midfielder at Lille, returning to lead the club from 2008–13 and masterminding their domestic double triumph in 2010/11. He subsequently spent three seasons in charge at AS Roma.
• Vitória SC coach since summer 2016, Pedro Martins previously managed Marítimo (2012/13) and Rio Ave (2014/15) in this competition's group stage. A former Guimarães midfielder, he was capped once during his time at Sporting CP (1995–98).