A showdown between Dynamo and Sporting CP plus the meeting of Kairat Almaty with two debutants are among the highlights of the UEFA Futsal Cup elite round draw.
Article top media content
A showdown between Dynamo and Sporting CP plus the meeting of two-time winners Kairat Almaty with two debutants are among the highlights of the UEFA Futsal Cup elite round draw.
Elite round draw (matches 22–27 November)
Group A: Kairat Almaty (KAZ)*, Nikars Riga (LVA), Real Rieti (ITA), Feniks (KOS)
Group B: Ugra Yugorsk (RUS, holders), Araz Naxçıvan (AZE), Hamburg Panthers (GER), Nacional Zagreb (CRO)*
Group C: Inter FS (ESP), Ekonomac Kragujevac (SRB), EP Chrudim (CZE), Brezje Maribor (SVN)*
Group D: FC Dynamo (RUS), Sporting CP (POR)*, Győri ETO (HUN), City'US Târgu Mureş (ROU)
- The group winners progress to the knockout finals in the last weekend of April, with the hosts to be picked from among the four qualifying clubs.
Elite round guide
- Debutants Rieti and Feniks (the first Kosovan entrants) have to travel to Kairat Almaty, champions in 2013 and 2015 and six-time semi-finalists.
- Ugra won the Russian title on debut last season and face former semi-finalists Araz as well as the first German side to get this far, Hamburg.
- Inter are aiming for a record fourth title but Ekonomac and Chrudim (who have
advanced through the main round ten seasons in a row) have plenty of experience while hosts Brezje are debutants.
- The game of the round seems to be the Lisbon encounter of 2011 runners-up Sporting and Dynamo, winners in 2007 and finalists a record six times. Dynamo beat Sporting 5-0 in the elite round the season the Russian club won the title.