Russia beat Belarus to join the UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualifying round Group 13 hosts in progressing to the elite round while Wales will still hope to join them.
Full results and standings
- Russia, who failed to successfully defend the trophy last season, drew 0-0 with Wales in their opener.
- Both teams had a player sent off in the second half, Wales having a one-man advantage from the 47th to the 66th minute.
- Ivan Bakhar's 28th-minute penalty secured victory for Belarus against Montenegro despite Konstantin Kuchinski's red card.
- Belarus now knew success against Wales would seal progress and Vitali Lisakovich's last-minute penalty gave them a 2-1 win.
- Russia beat Montenegro 2-0, captain and inspiration Artem Galadzhan turning in Mikhail Lysov's 14th-minute cross before having a penalty saved by Matija Gligorović late in the first half.
- Montenegro lost Ilija Vukotić to a 70th-minute red card and Yegor Denisov headed in a flicked-on corner in added time.
- Russia still required a point against Belarus on Friday to join them in the elite round and came from behind to win 2-1 with an Aleksei Tataev clincher 12 minutes from time.
- That rendered Wales's 2-1 victory over ten-man Montenegro futile in terms of a top-two finish, the Welsh also coming from behind to prevail with five minutes to go through Thomas Harris.
- Wales could still advance as one of the five third-placed teams with the best record against the leading pair in their section.
Mikhail Galaktionov, Russia coach
In recent months our team has been greatly reinforced, players with great quality were added. They improve from game to game. We are happy to take first place. This is important for seedings in the elite round. It adds to the boys' confidence as well. We are building a strong winning mentality.
Through to elite round
Group 1: Scotland, Republic of Ireland
Group 3: Italy, Iceland
Group 5: Sweden, Greece
Group 6: Portugal, Slovenia
Group 7: Hungary
Group 8: Netherlands, Serbia
Group 9: Austria, Norway
Group 12: Czech Republic, Romania
Group 13: Russia, Belarus
TBC: 14 more
Draw: 10.40CET, 3 December, involving 32 sides, of which 15 will join Bulgaria in the finals.