Slovakia topped qualifying round Group 4 and are joined in the elite round by Azerbaijan, whose coach Nicolai Adam was thrilled by their decisive defeat of Slovenia.
Article top media content
• Slovakia topped UEFA European Under-19 Championship qualifying round Group 4 with three wins and nine goals shared among seven different scorers.
• Tomáš Vestenický top-scored with three goals despite only playing in two of the three group matches, the first of which was against Slovenia when the striker netted twice in a 2-1 victory.
• Three teams were vying for second place going into the final matchday with bottom-placed Azerbaijan the outsiders.
• Azerbaijan's thrilling 3-2 success against Slovenia saw them leap into second ahead of their opponents and Hungary who succumbed 3-0 to Slovakia.
• Hosts Hungary had earlier drawn their first two games against Azerbaijan and Slovenia.
Milan Malatinsky, Slovakia coach
Obviously coming into this game we wanted to post a third victory but in the first half we didn't play so well. In the second half we improved and knew that if we scored the first goal, there would be even more pressure on Hungary as the home team. We got that first goal and after that we could score more as the game opened up.
We came here with only one aim – to qualify for the eite round whether it be having earned nine points, four points or however many. We are glad to have won all three matches and to have progressed. Now we will look to the future matches and see how far we can go. The elite round is full of very good teams but we will see what we can do against them.
Nicolai Adam, Azerbaijan coach
It's an amazing feeling. It's my second qualification round; I was in Volgograd last year with 50% of this team who were in the U17 squad. In the end football is about results and today we made it, we're very happy about it.
This is the youngest-ever Azerbaijan U19 team to participate in a UEFA U19 qualifying round, and as we all know the level here is high; it's adult football I always say. We are a developing country but we do a lot to develop football and I'm so happy for the boys because for them it means they will go to the elite round next year, which means more international experience. This is what this is about, you know.
To be honest, I think this [the first half against Slovenia] was, if I look back now over the whole year, maybe the best performance I have seen so far. The first two matches we played were horrible – I know they can do so much better – and today in the first half they showed what they are capable of.
The second half was horrible for me – if I have another second half like that I'd die from a heart attack and I'm only 42. It's football – respect to the Slovenian team, they tried hard and, as we know, 3-3 would have sent them through.
I'm so thankful for this and, of course, you are more happy when you finally make it, but this whole situation today – with basically all three teams, Hungary, us and Slovenia, having to win ... Fantastic! Fantastic!
Elite round draw: 3 December