Germany will take on Italy, Portugal and Austria in Group A at this summer's finals while Croatia, the Netherlands, France and England make up Group B.
Article top media content
The UEFA European Under-19 Championship final tournament draw has been made at VfB Stuttgart Arena, with hosts Germany bidding to become the first side to lift the trophy on home soil since France in 2010.
Group A: Germany (hosts), Italy, Portugal, Austria
Group B: Croatia, Netherlands, France, England
Calendar (match schedule & Eurosport coverage tbc)
Group stage: 11/12, 14/15, 17/18 July
Semi-finals & FIFA U-20 World Cup play-off: 21 July
Final: 24 July
• The four semi-finalists and the winner of a play-off between the two third-placed group finishers qualify for the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup in South Korea from 20 May to 11 June next year. Holders Serbia will not qualify to defend their global title.
• Germany beat Italy 3-1 in the 2008 final while Italy were victorious against Portugal in the 2003 showpiece.
• Germany defeated Austria 4-0 in the 2014 semi-finals en route to lifting the trophy by overcoming Portugal 1-0 in Budapest.
• Portugal and Austria have met in three competitive U19 fixtures, the Portuguese winning all three with a goal difference of 10-4.
• France were 2-1 winners against Croatia in the 2010 semi-finals in Caen, Normandy, and went on to take the title.
• France and England have faced off in seven competitive U19 matches, with all bar the most recent in the final tournament, including Les Petits Bleus' 3-1 triumph in the 2005 final. France also knocked England out of last season's competition with a 2-1 success in their closing elite round game.
• England saw off the Netherlands on penalties in the 2014 European U17 Championship final.