The play-off draw: Slovakia v Italy, France v Sweden, Denmark v Iceland, England v Croatia, Netherlands v Portugal, Ukraine v Germany, Serbia v Spain.
Article top media content
Holders Spain must get past Serbia in the play-offs if they are to go for a third UEFA European Under-21 Championship title in a row next June in the Czech Republic.
• Play-off draw
Slovakia v Italy
France v Sweden
Denmark v Iceland
England v Croatia
Netherlands v Portugal
Ukraine v Germany
Serbia v Spain (holders)
Road to the Czech Republic
• Play-off ties: 8–14 October (seven winners join hosts Czech Republic in finals)
• Finals draw: 6 November, Prague
• Final tournament: 17–30 June, Czech Republic
• Italy drew 0-0 with 2000 finals hosts Slovakia on their way to the fourth of their record five titles.
• France have met Sweden in three U21 qualifying groups, each time winning at home and drawing away.
• Iceland beat hosts Denmark 3-1 in their last 2011 finals group game, a result that left both sides eliminated.
• England are aiming to qualify for a fifth straight final tournament.
• The Netherlands defeated Portugal 2-1 en route to the 2007 title on home soil.
• Horst Hrubesch's Germany thrashed Ukraine 4-0 in a May 2008 Wilhelmshaven friendly, one year before taking the title.
• Spain are seeking to match Italy's records of five titles and three in consecutive tournaments.