The qualifying draw for the 2023 final tournament took place on Thursday 28 January.
Article top media content
The qualifying draw for the 2023 UEFA European Under-21 Championship took place on Thursday 28 January.
The 53 teams will compete from March for 14 places alongside final tournament co-hosts Georgia and Romania.
2021-23 Under-21 EURO qualifying draw
Group A: Croatia*, Austria, Norway, Finland, Azerbaijan, Estonia
Group B: Germany*, Poland, Israel, Hungary*, Latvia, San Marino
Group C: Spain*, Russia*, Slovakia, Northern Ireland, Lithuania, Malta
Group D: Portugal*, Greece, Iceland*, Belarus, Cyprus, Liechtenstein
Group E: Netherlands*, Switzerland*, Bulgaria, Wales, Moldova, Gibraltar
Group F: Italy*, Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Luxembourg
Group G: England*, Czech Republic*, Slovenia*, Albania, Kosovo, Andorra
Group H: France*, Serbia, Ukraine, North Macedonia, Faroe Islands, Armenia
Group I: Denmark*, Belgium, Turkey, Scotland, Kazakhstan
- Co-hosts Georgia and Romania qualify directly for the final tournament in June/July 2023.
- The pots were based on the coefficient rankings system.
- The draw split the teams into eight groups of six and one of five.
- Each group contains one team from each pot except Group I, which has no team from Pot 6.
- The groups will be played between March 2021 and June 2022.
- The nine group winners and the best runner-up (not counting results against sixth-placed teams) will qualify directly for the final tournament.
- The other eight runners-up will play off for the remaining four finals berths in September 2022.
Pot 1: Spain*, Germany*, France*, England*, Italy*, Denmark*, Portugal*, Netherlands*, Croatia*
Pot 2: Austria, Poland, Sweden, Czech Republic*, Belgium, Russia*, Serbia, Switzerland*, Greece
Pot 3: Slovakia, Iceland*, Ukraine, Slovenia*, Republic of Ireland, Israel, Norway, Bulgaria, Turkey
Pot 4: Scotland, North Macedonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Wales, Northern Ireland, Finland, Hungary*, Belarus, Albania
Pot 5: Montenegro, Kosovo, Lithuania, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Cyprus, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan, Latvia
Pot 6: Luxembourg, Armenia, Malta, Andorra, Estonia, Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, San Marino
Based on the UEFA Executive Committee decisions valid at the time of the draw, the following pairs of teams could not be drawn into the same group:
- Armenia & Azerbaijan
- Gibraltar & Spain
- Bosnia and Herzegovina & Kosovo
- Kosovo & Serbia
- Kosovo & Russia
- Russia & Ukraine
*Competing at 2021 Under-21 final tournament in Hungary and Slovenia, alongside Romania