Sweden v Russia: Women's EURO facts
Sunday, 16 July 2017
For the fourth time, Sweden and Russia come face to face in a UEFA Women's EURO group stage.
Article top media content
• Russia will be through with a win having beaten Italy 2-1.
• Sweden drew 0-0 against Germany on Monday.
• This is a familiar group stage fixture having occurred in 1997, 2001, 2009 and now 2017.
• Sweden won all those preceding matches: 2-1 in 1997, 1-0 in 2001 and 3-0 eight years ago, Caroline Seger among the scorers.
• In each of those groups, Sweden went through and Russia were eliminated (just as when the duo did not meet in 2013).
• Germany were also in their 2001 group and Italy in the 2009 section.
• Current Russia coach Elena Fomina played in the 2001 and 2009 matches.
• They met on 8 March this year for seventh place in the Algarve Cup. Sweden won 4-0 with Kosovare Asllani scoring twice and one each by Nilla Fischer and Fridolina Rolfö.
• Overall, Sweden have five wins out of five against Russia, also beating them 2-0 in a 1997 friendly in Falkoping.