Slovakia beat Israel 1-0 to follow the dominant Netherlands through from UEFA European Women's Under-17 Championship qualifying round Group 10 in a wintry Slovenia.
Article top media content
Slovakia beat Israel 1-0 to follow the Netherlands through from UEFA European Women's Under-17 Championship qualifying round Group 10 in a wintry Slovenia. Just one section, Group 1, is left to conclude, with all 24 elite round contenders to be confirmed on Friday.
- First-half goals from Aniek Nouwen, Pien de Beer and Kim van Velzen gave the Netherlands an opening 3-0 win against Israel.
- Slovakia defeated hosts Slovenia 2-1 courtesy of a 52nd-minute winner from substitute Mária Mikolajová.
- The Netherlands won again two days later, beating Slovakia 2-1 with two goals from 14-year-old Fenna Kalma.
- The Dutch knew anything other than a Slovenia win against Israel would confirm them in first place.
- Second-half goals by Keren Goor and Koral Hazan ensured a 2-0 defeat for the hosts, who crucially had Katja Turk sent off immediately before the opener.
- On the last day the Netherlands drew 2-2 with already-eliminated Slovenia. The Dutch had the better of the play but the spirited hosts twice equalised.
- Israel needed a win to pip Slovakia to second place but instead fell to a 70th-minute Martina Šurnovská penalty. That also ended their hopes of going through as the team finishing third with the best record against the top two in their section.
Maria van Kortenhof, Netherlands coach
We defended well, but we have too much trouble creating chances. If we want to go to the European Championship, we have to score more goals. We still have a lot in reserve.
Through to elite round
Group 2: Finland, Poland
Group 3: Switzerland, Hungary
Group 4: Republic of Ireland, Serbia
Group 5: Austria, Czech Republic
Group 6: Sweden, Scotland
Group 7: Belgium, Belarus
Group 8: Denmark, Turkey
Group 9: Italy, Norway
Group 10: Netherlands,
Bye: Germany (holders), France, Spain
TBC: three more
Draw: 19 November, involving 24 teams, of whom seven will join hosts Iceland in the finals.