Austria and Czechs through from Group 5
Thursday, October 23, 2014
Mini-tournament hosts Austria, and the Czech Republic, are the latest teams through from the qualifying round after taking the two berths on offer from Group 5.
Article top media content
Austria and the Czech Republic are the latest teams through from the UEFA European Women's Under-17 Championship qualifying round after taking the top two places in Group 5.
- Austria, who hosted the mini-tournament having made the finals last season, opened by beating Northern Ireland 6-0.
- Viktoria Pinther and Julia Kofler, among several survivors from last year's Austria squad, scored while 15-year-old Jennifer Klein struck twice.
- The Czech Republic came back from two down to defeat Ukraine 4-2 in the other opener.
- They followed that up with a 2-0 win against Northern Ireland thanks to second-half goals by Michela Dubvova and Kristýna Příkaská.
- Austria made certain they and the Czechs would advance regardless of Thursday's results courtesy of a 6-2 victory over Ukraine.
- Pinther managed a hat-trick and Klein too was again among the scorers.
- Katharina Mayr's early strike was enough for Austria to edge the Czech Republic 1-0 for first place in a match moved to Lindabrunn due to weather conditions.
- Northern Ireland, meanwhile, concluded with a 3-2 triumph over Ukraine.
Through to elite round
Group 2: Finland, Poland
Group 3: Switzerland, Hungary
Group 4: Republic of Ireland, Serbia
Group 5: Austria, Czech Republic
Group 6: Sweden, Scotland
Group 7: Belgium, Belarus
Group 8: Denmark, Turkey
Group 9: Italy, Norway
Bye: Germany (holders), France, Spain
TBC: five more
Draw: 19 November, involving 24 teams, of whom seven will join hosts Iceland in the finals.