UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Porter delivers as England edge past Austria

England 2-1 Austria
Lucy Porter came off the bench to score the winner as Lois Fidler's side moved up to second in Group A.

Porter delivers as England edge past Austria
Porter delivers as England edge past Austria ©UEFA.com

England rallied from a goal down to beat Austria 2-1 and climb into second spot in UEFA European Women's Under-17 Championship Group A.

The hosts' early enthusiasm was dented by Nina Wasserbauer's 15th-minute opener, but Ashleigh Plumptre ensured they went into the break on equal terms. Austria dominated for long spells of the second half but their patient approach was undone when Lucy Porter – a replacement for Plumptre – struck the winner. 

Both sides started with intent though it was England who were in the ascendancy. After peeling into space on the left, effervescent winger Plumptre centred dangerously across goal, forcing Katharina Naschenweng to clear off the line. Keira Walsh then warmed the palms of Carolin Größinger after combining neatly with Sophie Stamp.

Their momentum was soon punctured, however. Collecting a loose ball inside the area, Julia Kofler teed up Wasserbauer, whose deflected strike squirmed inside the corner. England responded 12 minutes later as Plumptre powered a header beyond Größinger from Walsh's inswinging free-kick. Parity felt like paradise and it almost got better when Chloe Kelly raced onto Evie Clarke's through ball and elicited a smart stop from Größinger.

The passing was pure and precise from Austria at the start of the second period, with Ivana Feric – dynamic throughout – gliding towards the area before sending a low shot into the arms of Kirstie Levell. Dominik Thalhammer's side were painting a dominant picture and Feric was the artist, threading an intricate pass for Viktoria Pinther, who curled over.

The Three Lionesses remained a threat on the counter, however, and landed a sucker punch shortly before the hour. A dashing run from Walsh down the right resulted in the No10 crossing for Porter to tap in at the back post. Lois Fidler's charges then had to endure a tortuous final few minutes before their victory was confirmed.