ACF Fiorentina coach Vincenzo Montella faces an emotionally-charged reunion with AS Roma, the team he represented for a decade, following today's draw for the UEFA Europa League round of 16. It was one of two ties pitting together domestic rivals, with holders Sevilla FC drawn against Villarreal CF, a side coached by their former boss Marcelino. For ten clubs, though, uncharted territory awaits.
Round of 16 draw (ties 12 & 19 March)
Everton FC (ENG) v FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR) v AFC Ajax (NED)
FC Zenit (RUS) v Torino FC (ITA)
VfL Wolfsburg (GER) v FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)
Villarreal CF (ESP) v Sevilla FC (ESP, holders)
SSC Napoli (ITA) v FC Dinamo Moskva (RUS)
Club Brugge KV (BEL) v Beşiktaş JK (TUR)
ACF Fiorentina (ITA) v AS Roma (ITA)
Road to Warsaw
Quarter-finals: draw 20 March, matches 16 & 23 April
Semi-finals: draw 24 April, matches 7 & 14 May
Final: Wednesday 27 May, National Stadium Warsaw
• Fiorentina trainer Montella was on Roma's books for a decade until 2009, scoring 94 goals in 215 matches and winning the 2000/01 Scudetto. He started his coaching career with the Giallorossi too, on an interim basis in 2011.
• Fiorentina (v Juventus, 1990) and Roma (v Inter, 1991) have both previously played and lost all-Italian UEFA Cup finals.
• Marcelino was coach of Sevilla in 2011 and 2012, losing his job after a 2-1 defeat by Villarreal.
• Sevilla scored twice in the last three minutes as they came from behind to beat Villarreal earlier this season.
• The last two campaigns that Sevilla faced Spanish teams in two-legged UEFA Europa League ties (v CA Osasuna in 2006/07 and v Real Betis Balompié and v Valencia CF in 2013/14), they went on to win the competition.
• Club Brugge v Beşiktaş is the only fixture that has happened before in UEFA competition, the Turkish team prevailing 2-1 in the 2006/07 UEFA Cup group stage.
• There were no seeded sides nor country protection in the draw but clubs from Russia and Ukraine were kept apart following a decision taken by the UEFA Emergency Panel.
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.