Montenegro v Russia background
Monday, February 2, 2015
Montenegro and Russia are going through something of a barren spell in UEFA EURO 2016 Group G and will both be eager to kick off their 2015 programme with a win.
Article top media content
Montenegro and Russia are coming together for the first time in UEFA EURO 2016 qualifying Group G, with both sides eager to get back to winning ways.
• The nations are meeting for the first time at senior level.
• Montenegrin and Russian sides have met in two UEFA age-group competition games. Russia won both fixtures – UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualifiers in 2012 and 2014 – without conceding.
• Montenegro are without a victory in three Group G matches (D2 L1) since opening their campaign with a 2-0 home success against Moldova. That remains Montenegro's only win in their last five competitive home fixtures.
• Russia have been on an identical barren run in the section (D2 L1) since starting off with a 4-0 triumph against Liechtenstein.
• That win against Liechtenstein was the only occasion in seven competitive fixtures in 2014 when Russia scored more than one goal in a match – their other six games produced four 1-1 draws and two 1-0 defeats.
Trivia and links
• This will be Russia's 300th competitive fixture – including games as the Soviet Union. Their 299 UEFA European Championship and FIFA World Cup matches to date have ended W170 D66 L63.
• Montenegro goalkeeper Mladen Božović (FC Khimik Dzerzhinsk), and midfielders Vladimir Božović (FC Mordovia Saransk) and Mladen Kašćelan (FC Arsenal Tula), all play club football in Russia.