Norway have not lost to their UEFA EURO 2016 play-off opponents Hungary since 1981 – a reassuring fact as they bid to make it to their first EURO since 2000.
Article top media content
Norway are unbeaten in over 30 years against Hungary as the sides come together in the UEFA EURO 2016 play-offs.
• Norway v Hungary, 20.45CET, Thursday 12 November
• Hungary v Norway, 20.45CET, Sunday 15 November
• Hungary have won seven and lost five of their 17 meetings with Norway. They are without a victory in nine games against the Norwegians since a 4-1 success in Budapest in 1981.
• Norway lost their only previous EURO play-off, missing out on a place at UEFA EURO 2004 with a 5-1 aggregate reverse to Spain.
• Norway also lost their sole FIFA World Cup play-off, 2-0 on aggregate to the Czech Republic, to sit out the 2006 finals.
• Hungary won just one of their last four qualifying matches (W1 D2 L1).
• Hungary are featuring in a UEFA European Championship play-off for the first time. They contested the 1998 World Cup play-offs but crashed out 12-1 on aggregate to Yugoslavia.
Trivia and links
• Norway came third behind Italy and Croatia in Group H; Hungary finished behind Northern Ireland and Romania in Group F.
• Norway's only previous EURO finals, UEFA EURO 2000, ended in a group stage exit. They did register one of the most memorable results in their history at that tournament, however, Steffen Iversen's header earning a 1-0 victory against Spain.
• Hungary have not figured at a major final tournament since the 1986 World Cup. They were semi-finalists in the 1964 and 1972 UEFA European Championships.
• Goalkeeper Gábor Kiraly's next appearance will be his 100th for Hungary. Defender Tom Høgli's next international will be his 50th for Norway.
• Norway midfielder Harmeet Singh turns 25 on 12 November – the day of the first leg – with Hungary defender Predrag Bošnjak reaching 30 the day after.
• Hungary defender Patrik Póor turns 22 on 15 November – the day of the second leg – with reserve goalkeeper Dénes Dibusz celebrating his 25th birthday the day after.