Germany are on the look-out for a fifth successive victory against Georgia as they meet in Leipzig with the home side still needing to confirm progress from Group D.
Article top media content
Germany will try to record a fifth consecutive win against Georgia as the sides come together in Leipzig on 11 October for their final UEFA EURO 2016 Group D game with the world champions still to confirm their place in next year's finals.
• Germany, Poland and the Republic of Ireland – who meet in Warsaw – are all assured of a top-three finish, but none have qualified. Germany will do so with a win or a draw against Georgia. If they lose they will finish third if Poland and Ireland draw.
• First-half goals from Marco Reus and Thomas Müller earned Germany a 2-0 success in Tbilisi in the teams' Group D meeting in March.
• Germany have now won all four of their fixtures against Georgia.
• The two countries' only previous competitive matches came in EURO '96 qualifying, when Berti Vogts's Germany beat Aleksandre Chivadze's Georgia 2-0 in Tbilisi and 4-1 in Nuremberg. Former Georgia coach Temuri Ketsbaia put the visitors in front in the second game; his 28th-minute strike remains the sole goal Georgia have scored past Germany at senior level.
• More recently, the sides met in a 2006 friendly in Rostock, with Joachim Löw's Germany prevailing 2-0 against a Georgia team led by German coach Klaus Toppmöller.
• Germany have not lost in 21 home qualifiers (W17 D4) since a 3-0 defeat by the Czech Republic in October 2007.
• Georgia have won just one of their last 23 competitive away matches (W1 D4 L18), 3-0 against Gibraltar earlier in this Group D campaign.
• The latest booking list is available here: http://www.uefa.org/disciplinary/disciplinary-cases/booking-lists/index.html.
Trivia and links
• This is Germany's second competitive outing in Leipzig since reunification; they won the first 4-0 against Liechtenstein in March 2009.
• Georgia coach Kakhaber Tskhadadze played club football in Germany with Eintracht Frankfurt from 1992 to 1996.
• In six encounters in UEFA age-group competitions, Germany's record against Georgia reads W5 D1 L0.
• In terms of UEFA club matches, the record of German teams against their Georgian counterparts is W6 D2 L3. The most notable meeting, however, was a Georgian victory, FC Dinamo Tbilisi beating FC Carl Zeiss Jena 2-1 in the 1981 European Cup Winners' Cup final.