Holders Germany are joined by Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, England, Wales, Spain and Croatia in Pot 1 for Saturday's FIFA World Cup qualifying draw.
Article top media content
The seedings for the European 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying draw on Saturday have been confirmed.
Europe's 52 hopefuls (all UEFA national associations except automatically qualified hosts Russia and non-FIFA members Gibraltar) have been split into six pots, based on the July FIFA world rankings. The draw ceremony, which involves all of FIFA's continental confederations, will be held at Konstantinovsky Palace in St Petersburg, starting at 17.00CET.
Pot 1: Germany (holders), Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, England, Wales, Spain, Croatia
Pot 2: Slovakia, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Denmark, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Pot 3: Ukraine, Scotland, Poland, Hungary, Sweden, Albania, Northern Ireland, Serbia, Greece
Pot 4: Turkey, Slovenia, Israel, Republic of Ireland, Norway, Bulgaria, Faroe Islands, Montenegro, Estonia
Pot 5: Cyprus, Latvia, Armenia, Finland, Belarus, FYR Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Moldova
Pot 6: Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Georgia, Malta, San Marino, Andorra
Bye to finals: Russia (hosts)
• The 52 entrants will be drawn into seven groups of six teams and two of five.
• The nine group winners advance directly to the final tournament.
• The eight runners-up with the best record against the teams first, third, fourth and fifth in their groups proceed to play-offs to decide the remaining four European berths.
• Six seeding pots will be formed as per the FIFA world rankings for July 2015 published early in the month (June rankings).
• All groups will contain one team from each of the top five seeding pots. Each of the seven sides in the sixth pot will be allocated to a six-team group.
• Due to the centralisation of media rights for European Qualifiers, England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands will all be drawn into six-team groups. They may be placed in the same group if they are in different seeding pots.
• The fixture list will be confirmed on Sunday.
North, Central America and Caribbean: 3.5
South America: 4.5
Hosts: 1 (Russia)
Matchday 1: 4–6 September 2016
Matchday 2: 6–8 October 2016
Matchday 3: 9–11 October 2016
Matchday 4: 11–13 November 2016
Matchday 5: 24–26 March 2017
Matchday 6: 9–11 June 2017
Matchday 7: 31 August–2 September 2017
Matchday 8: 3–5 September 2017
Matchday 9: 5–7 October 2017
Matchday 10: 8–10 October 2017
Play-off first leg: 9–11 November 2017
Play-off second leg: 12–14 November 2017
Final tournament (Russia): 14 June–15 July 2018