Lithuania will stage the ninth FIFA Futsal World Cup from 12 September to 4 October 2020 and will be joined by six other European teams among the 24 contenders.
Article top media content
Lithuania will stage the ninth FIFA Futsal World Cup from 12 September to 4 October 2020. The hosts will be among 24 finalists, including six other European qualifiers.
- Kaunas Arena
- Vilnius Arena
- Klaipėda Arena
European qualifying: how it works
- 48 teams entered to compete for six places alongside Lithuania in the finals.
- The 32 lowest-ranked teams began in the preliminary round, from which 16 teams will go through.
- Those 16 sides join the 16 highest-ranked nations in the main round, from which 16 teams will go through.
- Those 16 countries will compete in the elite round. The four group winners will qualify for the finals and the four runners-up will go into the play-offs.
- In the play-offs, the four sides will be drawn into two ties, played on a home and away basis, to decide Europe's last two qualifiers.
Road to Lithuania: European qualifying calendar
Preliminary & main round draws: Nyon, 12 December 2018
Preliminary round: 29 January–3 February 2019
Main round: 22–27 October 2019
Elite round & play-off draws: 7 November 2019
Elite round: 28 January–2 February 2020
Play-offs: 9 & 12 April 2020
Finals draw: tbc, Lithuania
Finals: 12 September–4 October 2020, Lithuania
UEFA 7 (hosts Lithuania and 6 qualifiers)
World Cup roll of honour
2016: Argentina 5-4 Russia (Colombia)
2012: Brazil 3-2 aet Spain (Thailand)
2008: Brazil 2-2, 4-3 pens Spain (Brazil)
2004: Spain 2-1 Italy (Chinese Taipei)
2000: Spain 4-3 Brazil (Guatemala)
1996: Brazil 6-4 Spain (Spain)
1992: Brazil 4-1 United States (Hong Kong)
1989: Brazil 2-1 Netherlands (Netherlands)