UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Arsenal, Atlético, Chelsea off to impressive starts

Arsenal FC were sole away winners in the second batch of matchday one fixtures – and one of three teams, with Club Atlético de Madrid and Chelsea FC, to score four.

Atlético celebrate during their 4-2 defeat of Zenit
Atlético celebrate during their 4-2 defeat of Zenit ©Club Atlético de Madrid

Group C
Olympiacos FC 0-0 Paris Saint-Germain FC
This opening stalemate was heralded by a first half in which PSG dominated possession without creating any clear-cut chances. Content to soak up pressure and hit on the break, Olympiacos reminded the French visitors of their threat when Antonis Papasavvas found space on the edge of the box and rattled a post. PSG's best opportunity fell to Devon Romil, who shot wide with only goalkeeper Giorgos Strezos to beat.

Group E
Chelsea FC 4-0 FC Basel 1893
The London club laid down an early marker with a high-scoring success against Swiss opposition. Chelsea profited from a strong start as Deni Kadoic turned Islam Feruz's low shot into his own net in the 20th minute. Seven minutes later John Swift doubled the advantage and, after a quiet opening to the second half, Feruz wrapped up the points, finding the net after his initial shot was saved. Alexander Kiwomya added further gloss to the result when slotting in Charly Musonda's clever through ball.

FC Schalke 04 3-0 FC Steaua Bucureşti
Schalke came out on top in an open match between two good footballing sides. Though the Romanian outfit impressed with their skilful ball players, they created limited opportunities and were in arrears once Daniel Koseler scored for Norbert Elgert's men after 16 minutes. The lead was extended as Adis Omerbašić registered after the break. Steaua missed their chance of a lifeline on 68 minutes when Janik Schilder denied Toni Razvan expertly from the penalty spot, before substitute Maurice Multhaup wrapped things up two minutes after coming off the bench in the 79th minute.

Group F
Olympique de Marseille 1-4 Arsenal FC
A confident Arsenal team were set on their way to an emphatic victory by Alex Iwobi's cool early finish. While Marseille's Thomas Ephestion hit the inside of a post seven minutes from half-time and, after the restart, Fode Guirassy fired over from close range, it was the Gunners who struck next. Iwobi found captain Kristoffer Olsson who cut the ball back for Serge Gnabry to finish. Gnabry quickly notched his second before OM reduced the deficit courtesy of Deyan Iliev's miscued back pass into his own net. Jack Jebb, instrumental in setting up Arsenal's third, rounded off the scoring 12 minutes from time – seizing on Florian Escales's failure to hold an Olsson free-kick.

SSC Napoli 1-0 Borussia Dortmund
The hosts kicked off with a win as Napoli captain Gennaro Tutino kept his nerve to slot in the only goal from the spot. Despite a bright beginning, the visitors fell behind in the 16th minute when the No7 slotted in his penalty after being fouled in the area by Moise Emmanuel Mbende, resulting in the defender's dismissal. Despite an impressive technical display, Dortmund suffered a further blow when Pascal Stenzel received a second yellow five minutes before the break. Napoli pushed on, yet their progress was stalled by red cards for Vincenzo Guardiglio and Antonio Romano. Nonetheless, Giampaolo Saurini's side were still strong enough to secure the points.

Group G
FK Austria Wien 3-0 FC Porto
Austria Wien coach Herbert Gager said the first goal from Nikola Zivotic midway through the first half was decisive as his charges, compact and fast on the counterattack, claimed a commanding win. With captain Sascha Horvath pulling the strings in midfield, Dominik Prokop soon added a second and victory was all but assured ten minutes after the restart – and in some style – as Peter Michorl volleyed in a beautiful goal. "Our boys showed great team spirit, motivation, discipline and will to win," said Gager.

Club Atlético de Madrid 4-2 FC Zenit
Atlético were irresistible in Majadahonda, just north of Madrid, as three first-half goals put them on course for an impressive victory. Borja Martínez, the lively Jony and Iván Calero were all on target before the interval, and susbstitute Ivi left the hosts four up with 16 minutes to play. Even so, Zenit refused to let heads drop and came on strong in the closing stages, Artem Simonyan pulling one back from the spot (77) before Aleksei Gasilin made it 4-2 two minutes from time.

Group H
AC Milan 3-1 Celtic FC
Milan's Marco Pinato scored twice as Filippo Inzaghi's side battled past their Scottish visitors. The No7 fired home an outstanding free-kick seven minutes in but Celtic restored parity through Jamie Lindsay close to half-time. Pinato's penalty on 50 minutes restored the Rossoneri lead and they clinched the points through Krisztián Tamás with 15 minutes remaining. "Pinato is a very important weapon," said Inzaghi. "I knew I could count on these boys. I am delighted with their success."