Goals aplenty in UEFA Youth League
Thursday, 18 September 2014
All eight matches on Wednesday and Thursday produced a winning margin of two goals or more, with Chelsea FC, Manchester City FC and AFC Ajax all impressive.
Article top media content
The goals flowed as matchday one of the 2014/15 UEFA Youth League continued with seven games. Chelsea FC and Manchester City FC were the biggest winners, with the Londoners, who beat FC Schalke 04 4-1, partially avenging their quarter-final loss to the German side last season.
Borussia Dortmund 0-2 Arsenal FC
• Kaylen Hinds's killer striking instinct decided the outcome, with his two goals settling a contest in which the home team controlled possession.
AS Roma 3-1 PFC CSKA Moskva
• Daniele Verde and Matteo Adamo scored free-kicks as Roma recovered from a goal down. Arturo Calabresi (37) levelled from a corner, cancelling out Timur Zhamaletdinov's early opener.
FC Bayern München 1-4 Manchester City FC
• The match turned on the 35th-minute dismissal of Bayern goalkeeper David Hundertmark for handball. Already leading 1-0, Patrick Vieira's City side quickly doubled their advantage before scoring on and just after the hour.
AFC Ajax 6-1 Paris Saint-Germain*
• The Dutch side were irresistible, with Donny van de Beek (a hat-trick) and Adham El Idrissi (two goals) profiting from some vibrant wing play that Paris never really dealt with.
NK Maribor 1-3 Sporting Clube de Portugal
• José Postiga's penalty and a second from the dangerous José Correia put Sporting ahead, but Nik Lorbek's spot kick closed the gap before Eloi's added-time third.
Chelsea FC 4-1 FC Schalke 04
• The Londoners were convincing winners in the teams' fourth meeting in 11 months. Chelsea – 1-0 and 2-0 victors in last term's group stage – triumphed again with two goals from captain Izzy Brown. Both sides began with four players who started their 16 March quarter-final, won 3-1 by Schalke.
FC Porto 2-0 FC BATE Borisov
• Penalties were converted by Ruben Macedo (19) and Ruiz (76), and Porto might have had more from a game they utterly dominated.
Athletic Club 0-2 FC Shakhtar Donetsk
• Jurgi hit a post early on for the hosts, before Oleksandr Zubkov (25) and Vasyl Shtander (61) struck as Shakhtar bossed midfield.
*Game took place on Thursday