FC Barcelona began the defence of their title with a convincing defeat of APOEL FC, while Liverpool FC scored four without reply against PFC Ludogorets Razgrad.
Article top media content
The second season of the UEFA Youth League started with convincing home victories for Galatasaray AŞ, Liverpool FC and title holders FC Barcelona, with last term's runners-up SL Benfica involved in the opening night's sole draw.
Juventus 2-0 Malmö FF
• Visiting captain Deniz Hummet hit the upright late on before Juventus substitute Paul Akpan Udoh nodded in the second.
Olympiacos FC 1-2 Club Atlético de Madrid
• Trailing to Nikos Vergos's early header, Atlético recovered to take three points thanks to counterattack goals from Fede Prieto and Roberto Nuñez.
Liverpool FC 4-0 PFC Ludogorets Razgrad
• Jerome Sinclair – who in September 2012, aged 16 years and six days, became the youngest player to represent the senior Liverpool side – scored twice in an emphatic win.
Real Madrid CF 2-0 FC Basel 1893
• A minute after Albian Ajeti squandered a chance to equalise, Madrid's Spanish-born Scottish youth international Jack Harper doubled the home advantage with a header. A Harper bicycle kick which rattled the woodwork had led to Borja Mayoral's opener.
AS Monaco FC 3-1 Bayer 04 Leverkusen
• Mohamed Chaïbi, 17, sealed victory 13 minutes from time with his second of the match, moments after Monaco half-time substitute Safwan Mbae was sent off for a foul just outside his own area.
SL Benfica 0-0 FC Zenit
• A well-organised and physically imposing Zenit side limited last season's runners-up to few chances, Diogo Gonçalves going closest for the Eagles with a shot off the crossbar before the interval.
Galatasaray AŞ 3-0 RSC Anderlecht
• Çetin Turan impressed for Cimbom with some dangerous set pieces, delivering the corner for Gökcan Gelmen to break the deadlock and the free-kick which caused the second of two own goals.
FC Barcelona 3-0 APOEL FC
• Isaac Padilla, Mohamed El Ouriachi and Juanma García had the champions three to the good by the 18th minute. APOEL never managed a shot on target.