In the draw at 17:00 CET on 3 April in Budapest, four groups will be formed for the finals in Hungary from 17 May to 2 June.
Article top media content
The UEFA European Under-17 Championship finals draw, from 17:00 CET on Monday 3 April at Hotel Ensana Thermal Margitsziget, Budapest, will split the 16 contenders including hosts Hungary into four groups of four teams. The top two in each group will advance to the knockout phase.
Hungary will be joined by the 15 teams progressing through the elite round in the finals from 17 May to 2 June, which will also act as UEFA's qualifier for the 2023 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Peru. The five spots will be filled by the four semi-finalists, plus the winners of a play-off between the two beaten quarter-finalists with the best group stage record.
Pot 1 (Best seven elite round group winners): France (holders), Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Netherlands, Croatia, Serbia
Pot 2 (Remaining group winners and best seven runners-up): Wales, Italy, Germany, Poland, England, Switzerland, Slovenia, Scotland
How the draw works
The hosts – Hungary – will be seeded as the first team in Group A (A1). The other 15 participating teams will be split into two pots and drawn into four groups of four teams (Groups A to D).
• Pot 1: the seven best elite round group winners (7 teams).
• Pot 2: the remaining elite round group winner and the seven best runners-up (8 teams).
• The draw starts with Pot 2 from where the teams are drawn to fill position four in each group.
• The order of the draw is as follows:
- One ball is drawn from Pot 2 and the team assigned to position four in Group A; a second ball is drawn and the team assigned to position four in Group B; and so on until Group D.
- The same procedure will apply for position three in each group with the four remaining balls in Pot 2, starting with Group A and ending with Group D.
- Once Pot 2 is empty, the draw continues with Pot 1, using the same procedure as with Pot 2 to fill position two in each group, then position one in Groups B, C and D to complete the draw.
QF1: Winner Group A vs Runner-up Group B
QF2: Winner Group B vs Runner-up Group A
QF3: Winner Group C vs Runner-up Group D
QF4: Winner Group D vs Runner-up Group C
SF1: Winner QF1 vs Winner QF3
SF2: Winner QF2 vs Winner QF4
Winner SF1 vs Winner SF2