Iceland pipped section hosts Moldova to second place in UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualifying round Group 3 to join winners Italy in advancing.
Article top media content
Iceland pipped hosts Moldova to second place in UEFA European Under-17 Championship qualifying round Group 3 behind section winners Italy.
- In a tight game, Iceland and Moldova drew their opener 0-0, both sides hitting the woodwork.
- Two Patrick Cutrone goals set dominant Italy on the way to a 3-0 defeat of Armenia.
- Armena's hopes were ended two days later as Máni Hilmarsson and Erlingur Agnarsson secured a 2-0 victory for Iceland.
- Italy knew another win would take them into the elite round and they beat ten-man Moldova 3-0, with Cutrone hitting two more goals.
- On the final day, Iceland knew a point against Italy would take them through, while Moldova needed to see off Armenia and hope to come second on goal difference.
- Moldova did beat Armenia, 4-0, with all the goals coming in the last six minutes, two struck by Andrei Marandici and one apiece for Ivan Voropai and Maxim Cojocaru.
- But Iceland held Italy 1-1, Máni Hilmarsson's goal at the start of the second half only cancelled out with four minutes left by Cutrone.
- Moldova must now wait to see if they finish as one of the five third-placed teams with the best records against the top two in their group.
Bruno Tedino, Italy coach
It wasn't easy to win this group because our opponents were focused on defence. It was obvious that we played much better after opening the scoring. We are waiting for the [elite round] draw but we are not thinking about winning the tournament; we will take it step by step.
Through to elite round
Group 1: Scotland, Republic of Ireland
Group 3: Italy, Iceland
Group 5: Sweden, Greece
Group 6: Portugal, Slovenia
Group 8: Netherlands, Serbia
Group 9: Austria, Norway
Group 12: Czech Republic, Romania
TBC: 17 more
Draw: 10.40CET, 3 December, involving 32 sides, of which 15 will join Bulgaria in the finals.