Iceland v Austria: Women's EURO facts
Friday, July 21, 2017
Iceland and Austria are meeting for the first time to conclude Group C in Rotterdam with the debutants only needing a point against their eliminated opponents.
Article top media content
• Austria have beaten Switzerland and draw with France on debut and are definitely through with a draw or if the Swiss do not beat Les Bleues.
• After two losses, Iceland are out and will finish fourth in Group C.
• Uniquely among the 24 group fixtures at UEFA Women's EURO 2017, Iceland and Austria are playing each other for the first time.
• In fact, the only competitive women's fixture at any level involving these countries was on 7 October 2011 when Iceland beat Austria 2-1 in a UEFA European Women's Under-17 Championship qualifying round match in Gloggnitz.
• Lára Einarsdóttir and Svava Rós Gudmundsdóttir scored for Iceland before Jelena Gatea pulled one back for the Austrians.
• Of the players that took part in that game, Sandra Jessen and Glódís Perla Viggósdóttir are in the Iceland selection while Nicole Billa, Manuela Zinsberger and Sophie Maierhofer are in the Austria squad.
• Coach Dominik Thalhammer was also in charge of that Austria U17 side.