The latest UEFA Direct – out now – closes an extraordinary year in European football’s rich history and looks ahead to 2021 with a wealth of entertainment in store for football fans everywhere.
Article top media content
Introducing the final edition of UEFA’s official magazine for 2020, President Aleksander Čeferin explains why European football can start the new year with renewed confidence after safely completing the vast majority of UEFA club and national team matches scheduled for the first part of the current season.
UEFA President editorial: lessons for 2021
Mr Čeferin takes particular strength from the outstanding cooperation and solidarity between UEFA, national associations, clubs, leagues and players unions. It is these qualities, he emphasises, that enabled the game to overcome a number of significant hurdles in an extraordinary year.
“In 2020,” Mr Čeferin writes, “we have learned that by working together in a spirit of compromise and understanding, acting as a team and striving for the same objectives, the European football community can surmount any obstacle. It is a lesson that will serve us well in the future.”
Update on UEFA competitions: past and future
• UEFA EURO 2020: Drama aplenty in the play-offs that decided the last four participants in this summer’s finals
• UEFA Nations League: The group phase climax
• UEFA Futsal Champions League: Spanish outfit Barça clinch the 2019/20 title on home soil
• UEFA Europa Conference League: The lowdown on UEFA’s new club competition
UEFA Direct’s coaching supplement, The Technician, puts the spotlight on the technical and tactical trends highlighted in the 2019/20 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League technical reports – starting with the rare flood of goals that kept fans constantly on the edge of their seats.
Also in UEFA Direct 193
• UEFA’s 2019/20 awards: Saluting the winners
• 2020 UEFA Grassroots Awards winners: Promoting Europe’s unsung heroes
• UEFA Grow: Five years of the programme which guides Europe’s national associations onwards and upwards
• UEFA Foundation for Children: Championing children and their rights since 2015
• The path to gender equality: A UEFA study advocates greater inclusivity in football
• UEFA member associations: News from across Europe