UEFA Champions League third qualifying round draw
Monday, 18 July 2022
The 2022/23 UEFA Champions League third qualifying round draw took place on 18 July.
Article top media content
The 2022/23 UEFA Champions League third qualifying round draw took place on Monday 18 July, at the House of European Football in Nyon, Switzerland.
Champions path draw
Maccabi Haifa (ISR) vs Apollon Limassol (CYP)
Qarabağ (AZE) vs Ferencváros (HUN)
Ludogorets (BUL) vs Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
Sheriff (MDA) vs Viktoria Plzeň (CZE)
Bodø/Glimt (NOR) vs Žalgiris (LTU)
Crvena zvezda (SRB) vs Pyunik (ARM)
The Champions path features two new entrants and ten second qualifying round winners (Champions path). Teams were divided into two groups and seeded in accordance with the club coefficient ranking (the higher coefficient of the two clubs involved in an undecided pairing).
League path draw
Monaco (FRA) vs PSV Eindhoven (NED)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR) vs Sturm Graz (AUT)
Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL) vs Rangers (SCO)
Benfica (POR) vs Midtjylland (DEN)
The League path features six new entrants and two second qualifying round winners (League path). Teams were seeded in accordance with the club coefficient ranking (the higher coefficient of the two clubs involved in an undecided pairing).
Seeded teams are in bold.
How the draw worked
- There were two draws: one for the 12 teams in the Champions path, the other for the eight sides in the League path.
- The draw included some teams taking part in the second qualifying round on 19/20 & 26/27 July. The higher coefficient of the two clubs involved in an undecided pairing was used for the purposes of the draw.
- The teams in each draw were divided equally between seeded and unseeded sides in accordance with the club coefficient rankings.
- The balls containing the names of the seeded teams were placed in one bowl and the balls containing the unseeded sides were put into another bowl. One ball was taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl in the middle, where they were shuffled. The first team drawn plays the first leg at home.
- UEFA formed groups for the draw in accordance with the principles set by the Club Competitions Committee. Clubs from the same association could not be drawn against each other.
What happens next?
The third qualifying round winners advance to the play-off round. Defeated teams in the Champions path transfer to the UEFA Europa League play-off round; League path losers will line up in the Europa League group stage.
What are the key qualifying dates?
2 August: Play-off round draw
2/3 August: Third qualifying round first legs
9 August: Third qualifying round second legs
16/17 August: Play-off round first legs
23/24 August: Play-off round second legs