Lionel Messi hit the winning goal as FC Barcelona twice came from behind to end Villarreal CF's unbeaten run, and Sevilla FC also triumphed to climb up to fourth.
Article top media content
• FC Barcelona twice come from behind to down Villarreal CF 3-2.
• Denis Cheryshev puts Villarreal ahead after half an hour; Neymar levels on stroke of half-time.
• Luciano Vietto restores the visitors' lead, only for Rafinha to quickly equalise.
• Lionel Messi buries the winner moments later for his 22nd Liga goal this term.
• Barça keep themselves a point shy of leaders Real Madrid CF, having played one game more.
• Defeat ends a club record run of 18 games unbeaten for Yellow Submarine.
• Sevilla FC move up to fourth courtesy of a 3-2 defeat of RCD Espanyol.
• Iago Aspas settles the encounter a minute from time.
• After seven Liga games without a win, Athletic Club beat Levante UD 2-0.
• Aritz Aduriz scores twice in second half to seal the points.
• UD Almería climb out of bottom three by edging Getafe CF 1-0.
• Edgar Antonio Méndez Ortega makes difference as both teams end with ten men.