Opened in 1931, Stade Geoffroy Guichard is known affectionately as the Cauldron due to its reputation for atmosphere.
Article top media content
Stade Geoffroy Guichard
UEFA capacity: 42,000
Tenants: AS Saint-Étienne
Opened: September 1931
• Known affectionately as Le Chaudron (the Cauldron) due to its reputation for atmosphere, the stadium is named after the founder of the Casino retail chain, under whose auspices AS Saint-Étienne originally came into being.
• Situated to the north of the city centre, the ground was built on old mine tunnels and next to a steel factory, and in the early days, fumes from the plant's chimneys were known to drift across the pitch.
• The stadium originally incorporated an athletics track, though this was removed in 1956 ahead of rebuilding work that moved supporters closer to the action.
• The venue, host to the 2015 Match of Poverty, staged matches at the 1984 UEFA European Championship, 1998 FIFA World Cup and 2007 Rugby World Cup, undergoing renovation work in the run-up to each tournament.
• Famed in the past for an 'English-style' design due to its four separate stands, the ground has had a facelift and enlarged its capacity to 41,500 while also making the venue more eco-friendly. The work was done with AS Saint-Étienne in situ and was completed in late 2014.
UEFA EURO 2016 matches
14/06/16, 21.00: Portugal v Iceland
17/06/16, 18.00: Czech Republic v Croatia
20/06/16, 21.00: Slovakia v England
Round of 16
25/06/16, 15.00: RA v RC
All kick-off times CET.