Romania have never won a competitive game against opening-night opponents France, but can feel more optimistic about taking on Switzerland and Albania.
Article top media content
Qualifying: Group F runners-up
Top scorer: Constantin Budescu, Bogdan Stancu, Paul Papp (2 goals)
Qualifying record: P10 W5 D5 L0 F11 A2 Pts20
EURO best: quarter-finals 2000
Last EURO: 2008 (group stage)
EURO appearances: 4 (1984, 1996, 2000, 2008)
Romania v France (21.00CET, 10 June, Saint-Denis)
EURO P6 W0 D3 L3 F1 A6
World Cup P2 W0 D2 L0 F3 A3
Friendlies P7 W3 D0 L4 F11 A10
- France and Romania drew 0-0 at UEFA EURO 2008 in Zurich before being paired together in the next two qualifying tournaments, for the 2010 FIFA World Cup and UEFA EURO 2012.
- Three of those four qualifying matches were also drawn, the exception being a 2-0 home win for France in October 2010 in which Loïc Rémy opened the scoring.
- France and Romania met competitively for the first time in EURO '96 fixtures, both in qualifying and at the finals. At the latter, a Christophe Dugarry goal decided the group game in Newcastle and gave Les Bleus a tenth successive victory under coach Aimé Jacquet.
Romania v Switzerland (18.00CET, 15 June, Paris)
EURO P4 W2 D1 L1 F6 A9
World Cup P6 W2 D1 L3 F5 A8
Friendlies P2 W1 D0 L1 F2 A2
- Switzerland enjoyed one of their finest FIFA World Cup victories when they beat Romania 4-1 indoors at the Pontiac Silverdome, Detroit in 1994. However, Romania recovered to win the group and progress to the quarter-finals while the Swiss exited in the round of 16.
- Swiss hopes of qualifying for EURO '92 were ruined when, needing a point from their final fixture in Bucharest, they lost to a late goal from Romania midfielder Dorin Mateuţ. That meant Scotland reached the finals instead.
- Romania have beaten Switzerland on Swiss soil twice in six attempts, including their latest visit, in May 2012, when they prevailed 1-0 in Lucerne.
Romania v Albania (21.00CET, 19 June, Lyon)
EURO P6 W4 D2 L0 F16 A4
World Cup P2 W2 D0 L0 F6 A1
Friendlies P9 W5 D2 L2 F20 A5
- Romania are Albania's most frequent opponents having faced them on 16 occasions.
- Albania are yet to beat Romania in eight competitive fixtures. Romania won the first six until qualifying for UEFA EURO 2012, when the teams twice drew 1-1.
- Experienced Romania left-back Răzvan Raţ scored the only goal when the teams last met, in Yverdon, Switzerland in a friendly in May 2014.