Steaua show steel in Bucharest

Round-up 2: FC Steaua Bucuresti earned a comfortable home win against Vålerenga IF, but another Norwegian club, Viking FK, had a happier night.

Former European champions FC Steaua Bucuresti earned a comfortable home win against Vålerenga IF to move into the UEFA Cup group stage, but another Norwegian club, Viking FK, had a happier night in Austria and both Switzerland and Ukraine saw two of their three entrants progress from the first round into Tuesday's draw.

FC Steaua Bucuresti 3-1 Vålerenga IF (agg: 6-1)
Already 3-0 up from a fortnight ago, Steaua went further ahead when Nicolae Dica struck with a left-footed shot half an hour in. Gabriel Bostina scored from the edge of the area four minutes before the interval and Victoras Iacob made it three just after the break. Bernt Hulsker claimed a Vålerenga consolation in the 56th minute.

FC Lokomotiv Moskva 3-2 SK Brann (agg: 5-3)
Vålerenga's Norwegian rivals Brann put up a brave show with ten men but Russian champions Lokomotiv built on their 2-1 first-leg lead. Brann goalkeeper Håkon Opdal brought down Francesco Ruopolo in the box in the 33rd minute and was sent off but Francisco Lima's penalty was saved by replacement custodian Johan Thorbjørnsen. The visitors then gave themselves the half-time lead on the night through Dylan McAllister only for Dmitri Loskov to strike 18 minutes into the second period. With 16 minutes remaining Charlie Miller levelled the tie on aggregate but Malkhaz Asatiani responded with a goal four minutes later and in added time Diniyar Bilyaletdinov sealed victory.

FK Austria Wien 2-1 Viking FK (agg: 2-2, Viking win on away goals) 
Fair Play entrants Viking continued their run through the rounds, the crucial goal coming ten minutes in through Trygve Nygaard from long range. Now two down on aggregate, Austria came back as Norwegian Sigurd Rushfeldt scored against his compatriots nine minutes later, but although Andreas Lasnik gave the home team the lead on the night early in the second half, Viking were celebrating at the end.

Debreceni VSC 0-2 FC Shakhtar Donetsk (agg: 1-6)
Shakhtar comfortably completed their tie in Hungary, having won 4-1 in the first leg. Brandão found the target on 20 minutes for the visitors after Blumer Elano's cross and the latter turned goalscorer three minutes later, direct from a corner.

FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk 5-1 Hibernian FC (agg: 5-1)
The signs that this would be a fundamentally different night to the goalless game in Edinburgh came within just 15 seconds in Ukraine when Serhiy Nazarenko scored through a deflected shot. Derek Riordan gave the Scottish side the away goals advantage on 24 minutes but again Dnipro struck quickly, Bohdan Shershun on target. Guillaume Beuzelin brought down Sergei Kornilenko to give Dnipro a penalty late in the half, which Oleh Shelayev duly converted, and with time all but up home substitute Olexandr Melashchenko scored twice.

FC Metalurh Donetsk 2-2 PAOK FC (agg: 3-3, PAOK win on away goals)
PAOK goalkeeper Daniel Fernandez was the hero as the nine-man Greek side squeezed through in Ukraine. Metalurh striker Olexandr Kosyrin headed in on 38 minutes but within three minutes Dimitrios Salpingidis had levelled. Pantelis Konstantinidis struck a crucial second away goal for PAOK early in the second half, but Serhiy Shyshchenko's header on 57 minutes set up a tense conclusion. Christos Karipidis and Yiasoumi Yiasoumis were both dismissed for PAOK in the closing stages but Fernandez made several fine saves in a frantic finale.

NK Široki Brijeg 0-1 FC Basel 1893 (agg: 0-6)
Basel, whose 5-0 first-leg win against Široki Brijeg had already put them in an unassailable position, took only seven minutes to add to their tally in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Matías Delgado's free-kick from the right was turned in by Mladen Petric from the edge of the area for the Swiss champions.

FC Zürich 2-1 Brøndby IF (agg: 2-3)
Zürich won on the night but the Danish visitors' 2-0 first-leg win proved decisive in the tie. Rafael Araujo struck for Zürich on 15 minutes after a pass from Blerim Dzemaili, but at the start of the second half Johan Elmander headed an away goal for Brøndby. The home side lost Iulian Filipescu to a red card with six minutes left, and although Rafael then headed in a Clederson Cesar cross, his team were out.

Myllykosen Pallo-47 0-3 Grasshopper-Club (agg: 1-4)
Grasshoppers ensured the city of Zurich will be represented in the group stage. MyPa were first to find the net in Finland but Sampsa Timoska's header was disallowed because Tuomo Könönen's free-kick was taken before the referee was ready. With 16 minutes remaining Grasshoppers claimed a goal that stood through a Demba Touré header and Veroljub Salatić soon claimed a second away strike. Rogerio extended the lead with five minutes left before MyPa's Marco Manso was sent off in added time for a foul on Roland Schwegler.

RCD Espanyol 2-0 FK Teplice (agg: 3-1)
Having drawn 1-1 in the Czech Republic, Espanyol went through as Fredson Camara Pereira gave them the lead with nine minutes left and Jofre Mateu González removed all doubts with a second goal in stoppage time.

SC Heerenveen 5-0 FC Baník Ostrava (agg: 5-2)
Heerenveen overturned a 2-0 deficit to destroy the hopes of their Czech visitors. Klaas Jan Huntelaar struck on two minutes and Larsse Nilsson levelled the tie on the stroke of half-time. Huntelaar's header just prior to the hour gave the Dutch team the lead, Ugur Yıldırım struck on 66 minutes and Huntelaar completed his hat-trick seconds later.

Cork City FC 1-2 SK Slavia Praha (agg: 1-4)
Slavia travelled to the Republic of Ireland 2-0 up and on 27 minutes Karel Piták, who scored the second in the first leg, claimed an away goal. Just after the hour Stanislav Vlček made it two on the night for Slavia, although George O'Callaghan did claim a consolation from the spot in the 66th minute.

Wisla Kraków 0-1 Vitória SC (agg: 0-4)
Having won 3-0 in Portugal two weeks ago, the visitors claimed the only goal in Krakow as Marek Saganowski marked his return to his native Poland with a strike eight minutes from time.